TimeOut Screen lock (increasing)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
I have a 3G iPhone, and am going to be using a RC airplane Telemetry application done by STI. It shows altitude, Speed, and a host of other items all depending on what sensors are installed in the Plane.

Problem that I'm anticipating is that the Screen will go blank and into Screen lock after the Max allowed delay of 5 minutes. I've seen this same problem when driving and using the GPS/Map. I do not want to take my eyes off the road, and especially off the airplane. So, here's the question: How do I increase the time-out screen lock under settings to something greater than 5 minutes??

Is there an option in these programs that I am missing?

Thanks

KKKKFL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
Thanks,
I must not have the latest version...
How do I update to this version on my iPhone?

KKKKFL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
You can only update so far depending on the hardware in your iphone Im pretty sure but under settings>general there should be a software update option?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
I have a 3g iPhone so can I get to the version that has NEVER in the time lock?
I looked in the General category, but did not see an option for updating.
Thanks

KKKKFL

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
I may not be asking the question correctly... so lets give it one last shot.

My 3G phone is running version 4.1 (8B117) it is Model MC555LL Modem Firmware 05.14.02 on AT&T network

When I go to Auto-lock the selections are 1, 2, 3, 4, &5 minutes.

Can I upgrade to a version that adds NEVER ?

I'm reluctant to go plugging into a computer without knowing what to expect..

Thanks to all for their patience with me..

KKKKFL

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
I'm so fed up with this....
I went to the Apple store, and they advised that I have an iPhone 3GS which will run os 5
and then supposedly I can select the never option... Yea well so much for the BS...
Another lie.... I've re-started it and it still only allows 5 minutes..
And by the way... I've lost all the paid for utilities and GOD knows what else... This is why I do NOT DO UPDATES!

Is there anyone out there that really knows?

This is pushing my patience to the end.

Thanks to all that have assisted.

KKKKFL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
So have you updated to iOS 5 or not?

I know you're a bit miffed, but you're not making much sense.

When you connected your iPhone to iTunes, it should have told you to back up your iPhone. Having done that it would have downloaded the new OS and then installed it on your phone, and then your iPhone would have installed your apps from the back up.

Once you've updated to iOS 5, you'll be able to select this never option that yor so desperate to attain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What do you mean by re-started it? Do you mean you restored it to factory settings?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
Well I finally just went to Apple tech support and for those following here's the story..

I connected to iTunes as directed... I followed each step dilligently, but at the end all I had was version 5.0.1 and lost were all photo's and all app's I had purchased or were freely downloaded.

Ok the next step that I was unaware of had to do with restore. Despite the windows that advised "restoring from back up" the iPhone did not restore. When I started up the iPhone it was like it was just default stuff.

The tech worked me through the steps to find the back up files for the apps, but all pictures are now gone... thank you very much Apple.

As for the Auto-lock I DO NOT have the NEVER option, it's not even grayed out.

A friend of mine suggests that perhaps the Company Email I have pushing emails does not allow the Auto lock to utilize NEVER for security reasons. I suppose this is possible, but I've been told so many different tales, I just don't know. The Apple Tech Support person was no help in this area as far as why the NEVER option does not show despite running 5.0.1 . She also said that every time one upgrades, its necessary to go back to iTunes and do a "Restore from backup" . This makes no sense to me since there was more than one window indicating that the iPhone was receiving data from the back up file. In all it took the better part of 30 minutes and I don't have that many video's, music, or Apps.

What did upgrading to 5+ mean for me - lost pictures and no gain...

KKKKFL

Reaction score
Backing up your iPhone (apps, pictures, ...) is just as important as backing up your computer data. I can't believe you did a major upgrade like this and didn't back anything up beforehand.

Just checked on my Phone - I'm running 5.0.1 and the "Auto Lock" setting has the 1,2,3,4,5 and Never function. Can you double check, that you really run 5.0.1? Settings -> General -> About. Scroll down to "Version".

You shouldn't have lost purchased apps - if you go into the App Store with the same AppleID you purchased everything under, you should be able to just re download them.

As a lesson - you should really hook your phone up to your iTunes at least once a week and let it back everything up.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
Thanks dekan...

I definitely am running 5.0.1 (9a405) at least that's what it says under the About heading.
I definitely do NOT have the never option... under Auto-lock

I did NOT do a "restore factory settings" and I watched as the windows did their backups and there was one for each category, as in music/video/apps/ which was comforting until I went to see where it had been stored.. It said it was using my computer as in the iMac that the phone was plugged into. The sequence went like this:

Plug in USB to back of iMac, plug in iPhone, open iTunes, get window "New software available for download" Select Download, See window "Backing up iPhone xxx" as it steps through. I followed each prompt until it finished. This took about 30 minutes.
When it was totally finished, I selected the iPhone from within the iTunes window and selected the eject arrow. I unplugged the iPhone went to general and noted that it still did not have the NEVER option. I turned the power off and then back on thinking the software would come up witha all new features if the iPhone was restarted. After a minutes iPhone restarted but, Same o Same o... it was at this point that I noticed I had lost all applications I had lost all pictures, all locational data was gone. Surprising since I saw the windows saying "Restoring xxx"

It did a terrible job.. every application had to be re-downlowded into iTunes and re-installed, so all settings were lost. I'm still trying to recover from that bit of Apple assistance. I've looked everywhere on the iMac for "Camera roll" since is said that it was backing up photos but I can't find them.. Any idea's where I might look? Is there a way in iTunes to look at what's been backed up?

I'll never back this thing up again... That's what caused all this loss of data in the first place. I have never been a fan of iTunes since the early days... The music industry forced a departure from the original Apple operating philosophy. To me the back up process should have asked "where do you want to store the backed up files?" and allowed selection of a specific folder. It said it wrote the data, I just don't know where.

I'll go poke around the iTunes window this morning and see what options are there.

Thanks again,
and please pass along any Search ideas you might have.

KKKKFL

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm not sure what happened but that process should have backed everything. I am running 5.0.1 with AT&T and the process worked fine.

Not backing up at all could produce other problems.I had to reset my iPad recently and the only reason I got stuff back at all was due to loading from a backup.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
Where are the photos backed up on the iMac? It said it did the back up, and I've looked in iTunes but cannot find anyway to locate the area where the files were dumped.

Also why can I not get auto-lock to show the "Never" option?

KKKKFL

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think the backups are located in The Backups are located at /Users/username/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup. The folders and files have somewhat cryptic names though. In researching this I have seen some comments such as this one suggesting photos are not backed up when iTunes backs up the phone unless you have set iPhoto to do so. Backup iPhone Pictures - Mac Tips Daily! #358 - tutorials - thinkmac.net | Mac Tips, Tutorials, Reviews, & Podcast.

This might be of some help although performing the actual recovery requires the paid version of the program. iPhone Data Recovery and Backup iphone music,contacts, photos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont think it backs it up file by file Im pretty sure its just one big file found at finder>username>library>application support>mobile sync

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
Thank you very much ShyDude and mgsfan18,

I'll navigate to the finder username.... location tonight when I return from work. I did not have the phone set to sync with iPhoto so I might be SOL. I'll post my findings and thanks for that link. It was pretty straight forward. Shame on Apple developers for not doing a better job of informing the User as to the fact that Back up is not really Back up, but some partial extract. BTW it saved my contacts, but not the assigned ring-tones. Also lost were all the purchased ring-tones, not a terrible expense, but money out of my pocket and I still don't have what I was after.

I realize that this thread started out asking how to get the Auto-lock on my 3GS to display the "NEVER" function and we have wandered far from that topic all due to the Upgrade fiasco. I am now running 5.0.1 and still do NOT have the "NEVER" option, which brings me to a parting comment.

Is it just me, or do other people find it bordering on ignorant that use of a Phone has to be so tightly knit to iTunes? I realize that I'm not part of the generation that goes around with earplugs continually in their lugholes and hats on backwards as they BeeBop through daily life (my observation of the kid from across the street that my Dog walks - intentionally stated that way) . I actually use the device to make/receive phone calls, utilize features like GPS, texting, and the Camera. But, I've only listend to a tune or two and could totally discard that feature especially if doing so made the device more "Tool-Like".

I guess it's the world we live in - gonna have to just get used to it.

Thanks to all that have tried to assist me - At least we've got that going for us.

KKKKFL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey you wouldn't happen to have a microsoft exchange e-mail address on your iphone would you?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
Yes I do have Microsoft exchange email (My Company) installed and mail is pushed to the iPhone. Why do you ask?

KKKKFL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.