do i get help here for tiger imac 10.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.4.11 2ghz intel core 2 duo 1gb 667 mhz ddr2 sdram
can i get help to shut down some startup items on this imac 10.4 tiger to get more speed.....

and i am new to forums and have to go out so i wont be sitting waiting so do i get the answer when i come back here or help help help

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
can i get help to shut down some startup items on this imac 10.4 tiger to get more speed.....

and i am new to forums and have to go out so i wont be sitting waiting so do i get the answer when i come back here or help help help

Everyone here is a volunteer so no promise of when (or if) anyone will respond.

One thing that will help us to help you is for you to be a lot more specific on your problem. Some of the things good to know:

1. We already know you have an iMac and are running OS X 10.4 (Tiger) but which model iMac?
2. You say you want more speed, can you be a bit more descriptive of what problems you are having and when?
3. When did this start? Was it a gradual thing, or recent occurence?
4. What is your HD size and free space left?
5. How much RAM do you have?
6. What programs are you trying to run (especially the ones that are slow)?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey thanks for the fast reply and wow some great questions you have... i am not at the imac but i don't know where to find that info of which model i just know its all in one lol.. there is 143gigs of hd left unused i don't keep anything on it that takes away like music or pic etc... it only has 1gig of ram... just get that spinning wheel lots of times when just reading news or hooking up to watch vid... my main concern is i know programs run in the background and on a pc i know how to disable but on the mac where do i go to disable and which ones will i know i can without causing problems.. sorry about the silly questions... i know one answer get the upgrade to more memory or faster processor....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Click on the Apple in the Top Left corner of the screen and on About This Mac. Tell us the CPU speed and Ram.

Do you know what Apps are starting up when you boot up the machine?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
processor 2 ghz intell core 2 duo mem 1gb 667 mhz ddr2 sdram mac os x 10.4.11 i mac 5,1 model identifier l2 chashe per processor 4mb boot rom version im51.0090.b09 smc version 1.8f2
i got into activity monitor i can shut down here what i do know is running but won't touch what i don't know... i still cannot find start up folder or where it shows what starts up when machine boots.... i am just trying to stop programs that run behind the scenes that i don't need to run...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
...trying to stop programs that run behind the scenes that i don't need to run...

That sounds like Windows thinking to me. (Sorry)
Besides the kernel, there are about 30-50 essential processes that Need to be running for normal operation.
Go to the Accounts prefs pane > Login items to see apps that you can decide not to run at startup.

Beyond that, why don't you tell us what the problem is and see if we can help?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thank you and yes i know how to stop windows programs from running and i have found the running processes in the activity monitor and shut down some so far the mac has not disappeared poof hahhahaha and what is starting up in the accounts folder is three programs... so all in all it seems to me just to go get more mem that can be added from one to three gigs i believe thanks for all your help.... have a great holiday season i do believe this is all i need... again many thanks for quick replies

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.