Photoshop CS5 (Upgrade)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", iPhone 4, iTouch.
Hi All

Just received my first Mac (iMac 27") which I am totally delighted with. I have been using Photoshop CS3 on my PC for a couple of years. I contacted Adobe to enquire about upgrading to CS5 (Mac Version) and using my CS3 licence as a valid upgrade path. All was fine with this approach so I paid the £150 upgrade charge, therefore avoiding the £600 full CS5 cost.

Shortly afterwards I received my CS5 (Mac) software and tried to install. When prompted I entered the CS3 licence code which I took from the side of the CS3 box which I still had. The licence code was rejected and after speaking to Adobe they confirmed it was not a valid licence.

The version of Photoshop CS3 aI have been using ppears to have been a pirate copy. I bought it off ebay (I know, I know...) as an un-registered and shrink wrapped copy of CS3. I bought it when CS4 was the current version so I (nievely) assumed that it was surplus stock and was legit.

I have had to cancel my CS5 upgrade and I'm now looking at the best way forward.

I have noticed that Amazon are still selling CS4 (for around £200) which perhaps I could then use as an upgrade route to CS5. Total outlay woul dbe around £350 as opposed to circa £600 to buy CS5 without going the upgrade route from a previous version.

So, getting to the point (finally), despite how genuine it may seem (unregistered, shrink wrapped etc) be careful where you buy your software from. (Please Note : I am absolutely not suggesting that all ebay sellers are selling pirated software. It does though appear that I was unfortunate).

Lastly, has anyone done the CS4 (from Amazon) and then bought a CS5 upgrade licence as I am now thinking of doing ?

I presume buying from Amazon it must be a legit copy of CS4 so should therefore be a valid licence code to use as an upgrade to CS5.

Thank you for listening and getting to the end of this lengthy note.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Hey there!

Just a word of advice, I bought a copy (it really was a copy - and a poor one at that) from Amazon. It wasn't from Amazon as such, it was one of the marketplace sellers as appears to be the case here (I just did a quick search for CS4 and it brought up 4 new items, all of which are marketplace sellers).

I think I paid £180 for CS4 (should have set alarm bells ringing), and when it turned up, it was in the shoddiest shrink-wrapped box I've ever seen. Thinking nothing of it I went ahead and installed it on my old Windows box, and right enough, the serial number wasn't valid.

After sending the seller a rather strongly worded email, and making a complaint to Amazon, the seller was removed from Amazon and I got my money back.

I'm not saying that these Marketplace Sellers aren't genuine, but just be a bit wary as these sellers aren't regulated by Amazon. However, with it being CS4 you're after, chances are it's a legit copy but just thought I'd share my experience.

Your only other option, and what I did, is to marry a student and then you can take advantage of the HUGE student discounts Adobe give - £193 for CS5 ;D - May not be worth it in the long run, however. ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your only other option, and what I did, is to marry a student and then you can take advantage of the HUGE student discounts Adobe give - £193 for CS5 - May not be worth it in the long run, however.

ROFL. Love and marriage, worth at least an upgrade to CS5! But your point is well taken about Amazon. We usually warn folks about purchasing software from sellers on eBay and other such auction sites. As the OP stated, not all sellers are dishonest but it does seem like the bad ones hang out there.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey there!

Just a word of advice, I bought a copy (it really was a copy - and a poor one at that) from Amazon. It wasn't from Amazon as such, it was one of the marketplace sellers as appears to be the case here (I just did a quick search for CS4 and it brought up 4 new items, all of which are marketplace sellers).

I think I paid £180 for CS4 (should have set alarm bells ringing), and when it turned up, it was in the shoddiest shrink-wrapped box I've ever seen. Thinking nothing of it I went ahead and installed it on my old Windows box, and right enough, the serial number wasn't valid.

After sending the seller a rather strongly worded email, and making a complaint to Amazon, the seller was removed from Amazon and I got my money back.

I'm not saying that these Marketplace Sellers aren't genuine, but just be a bit wary as these sellers aren't regulated by Amazon. However, with it being CS4 you're after, chances are it's a legit copy but just thought I'd share my experience.

Your only other option, and what I did, is to marry a student and then you can take advantage of the HUGE student discounts Adobe give - £193 for CS5 ;D - May not be worth it in the long run, however. ;)

Hi Chuckoir
Sounds like your experience was very similar too mine. Not sure I have the option to marry a student though. Not sure my girlfriend would approve ;D

Cheers !

C

chas_m

An alternative suggestion that may not work for you -- but might -- is to assess your PS needs fully and give Pixelmator a spin.

Pixelmator has a number of limitations -- no CMYK, no plug-ins, not the full set of tools -- but it can handle your basic photo manipulation/bitmap work and it's $30.

Alternatively, you might find that PS Elements 10 has enough advanced tools (at least 80% of what full Photoshop has, albeit very differently arranged) that it's worth the "something south of $100 depending on where you buy it" pricetag.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An alternative suggestion that may not work for you -- but might -- is to assess your PS needs fully and give Pixelmator a spin.

Pixelmator has a number of limitations -- no CMYK, no plug-ins, not the full set of tools -- but it can handle your basic photo manipulation/bitmap work and it's $30.

Alternatively, you might find that PS Elements 10 has enough advanced tools (at least 80% of what full Photoshop has, albeit very differently arranged) that it's worth the "something south of $100 depending on where you buy it" pricetag.

Thanks for the suggestions chas_m. I was considering Elements but having got used to Photoshop (albeit CS3) on the PC it will be difficult to settle for less. The other issue that one of the drivers for treating myself to a new iMac was to support my photography hobby.

Guess I'm going to have to save my pennies and take the plunge inthe new year.

Thanks again. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.