Backing up data on a windows partition

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently running a small business from my iMac (OS X Lion), but also use a Windows partition (with Windows 7 Ultimate) via bootcamp to run some PC-based accounting software.

I'm using time machine to back up my Mac data on 2 USB devices, but it won't back up my windows partition.

Can anyone suggest the most effective way to back up my windows 7 partition (preferably using USB devices)?

I would also be grateful if anyone has any suggestions as to which USB devices are best for saving data (price range approx. £80-£250)

Appreciate the help

A

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The best way to backup your Windows 7 partition is to use the built in backup app that is already included with Windows 7. It can backup file by file and also create an image clone of your entire Windows 7 partition. It can back up to an external USB device but it must be formatted as NTFS. Read through the help which is provided concerning Windows 7 backup to learn more and specifically how to recover data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Though I haven't tried it yet, CarbonCopyCloner can back up a Windows partion:

"CCC can back up the contents of the Boot Camp partition, but it cannot make a bootable clone of the partition. If your goal is to back up your user data on the Boot Camp partition, CCC will meet your needs. If you're looking to migrate your Boot Camp partition to a new hard drive, you might consider an alternative solution such as WinClone, or one of the commercial virtualization solutions that offer a migration strategy from Boot Camp."

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem he may run into with using CCC is if he has to restore the entire partition - which is usually the likely scenario. The Windows 7 built in backup will restore the entire partition from image by booting with the Windows 7 DVD and using the restore function. I don't believe CCC can do that (although I may be wrong).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.