Bootcamp partition 'disappeared'/uninstalled?

Reaction score
Not really sure what to title the thread, sorry. I had partitioned and downloaded windows 7 on bootcamp before I left for college for some random programs and games exclusive to windows. I haven't used it since until I got back for winter break and when I tried opening bootcamp just a couple of hours ago, I got the 'opening' screen and process (i.e the screen telling you what bootcamp's about, then it goes to whether you want to use a disc to download windows 7 or whatever, etc.). I have no idea what happened. Is there something I could do to recover the partition or do I have to repartition and redownload windows 7 (which I don't think I'll even be able to do ugh). It's just a little frustrating :Shouting: Any help would be great!

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out what exactly it is that you're asking? I take it you used the Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows 7 and now you can no longer run Windows 7?

Reboot your Mac and hold down the option key. You should see two icons appear on the screen: One will be for your MacIntosh HD, the other will be for Windows. Are you seeing that?

Also tell us the year and model of your Mac and which version of OS X it's running.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks chscag. I'm running on Lion OSx on a Macbook Pro; not sure if there are varying years but I just got it this Fall, 2011, for school.

I did what you instructed but had only Macintosh HD and Recovery HD show up.. I guess the partition's gone? :'( I'm just confused as to how that happened..? Yes, I used Boot Camp to install Windows 7 and it worked fine; I used it for a few weeks give or take without a hitch. Is there something that I could've done to make it disappear? When I run bootcamp it basically opens as if I've never used it before.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To be honest, I don't know how the partition could have disappeared either. Let's try this:

Reboot your new MBP and hold down the option key. Select the Recovery partition. Once you're in Recovery, select Disk Utility. From Disk Utility, highlight your hard drive on the left side of the screen. Now select the partition tab on the right side.

Is your Boot Camp partition visible? You should see three partitions if the BC partition is there.

Post back and let us know and we can go from there. And thanks for posting back information regarding your machine.

Reaction score
Same Issue

D: I have the same issue but after I added another Drive. It says its there in disk utility but its not at startup.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Assuming you're referring to setting up Windows with the Boot Camp Assistant, you're going to have to explain more clearly what you mean by adding another drive before we can help. Also give us specs about your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.