External monitor problems(again) with MacBook

Reaction score
External monitor resolution problems(again) with MacBook

Hi all,

Well, I'm facing problems connecting my MacBook(MacBook5,1) with an external LG monitor 19'' (Flatron L1919S). Monitor has only a vga port and mac a mini display port.
So, I'm using a mini display port to vga cable :
-mini DisplayPort 1.2 compatible with 5.4Gbps bandwidth
-Resolutions to 1080p, 1920 x 1200
-RGB out 0 to 700mV

I did what I had to do (I think), system preferences--> displays --> choose from arrangement the external monitor as my main screen (tried both options though) BUT ... The LG monitor has only two resolution options: 640x480 and 800x600 on 75 or 60 hz.

Am I doing something wrong ? I heard that vga to mini display is a " bad " connection for big resolutions... Am I doomed to use it on 800x600 ? Can someone figure out my problem? Should I use another cable or something?

* I also tried the mirror displays but resolution still the same on the ext monitor...

Offtopic--> By the way, why these vga,dvi to somthing cables are so expensive ?

Thanks in advance,

Aris

Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
I have looked up a little information on your monitor and found a few details. The first one I want to at least make sure you are aware of it. This monitor has a common problem of the capacitors on the board failing, which will cause it not to function short of it's life span. The second thing I found is that your monitor can run up to 1280x1024@75 Hz.

It is very common of some monitors to not detect properly in Mac. You may have to purchase a program such as SwitchresX. There are also free solutions to try, I have not been successful with them. Just google mac custom resolution and you will find many procedures on how to do this.

Also, you could try calling up LG and seeing what they say, but chances are they will not be able to help, based on the age of the monitor and my terrible times with their support.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks,
That was illuminating. I will try both solutions.
@Luckyka, I'm not sure I 've understood your way. Where should I put the hdmi male?
The connection should be like this??: cable mini display port to vga connected to the cable male vga to hdmi going to dvi to vga going to the monitor's vga male?

Really helplul.. Hope to come back with some results..

OP
T
Reaction score
So, I used SwitchresX and now I have 1280x768 on 60hz.. Much better... However, colors are not so fine.There are a lot of pixels, and is not running absolutely fast. Any more suggestions?
Thanks again,
Aris

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion, I was basing that on the assumption your monitor has a HDMI port.

Mini DVI to VGA - VGA male, HDMI to the HDMI port on the monitor. It allows for a crisper display in my opinion. I also went for a VGA option but found I was only allowed crap resolution, horrible colours and a slow response. HDMI solved that IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
Are you running that at the native resolution? You say you are running it at 1280x768@60Hz In the user guide i found for your monitor was saying the native resolution was 1280x1024@75Hz. The resolution you are currently running on is a widescreen resolution and I am finding this monitor to be 4:3 monitor. If this is the native resolution let me know I may be able to figure something else out.

OP
T
Reaction score
@rustyk123
Nope! It is not the native resolution. You are right about the 1280x1024@75hz. But I can get only 1280x768@60hz for some reason.. That's better than 800x600 but still not good enough. I would be grateful if you can figure out something. I m also trying to solve it too...

@Luckyka,
No problem.. Thanks for your consideration, anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.