• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

no idvd on new imac

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I'm using Toast 11(.0.4) in Lion (10.7.2) and it all works fine. This version is less "friendly" than the previous one IMO but functionally it works fine.

I am still using Toast 10 with the last update (too poor right now for 11 :D) and everything I have tried works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which one?
Just curious as I have never looked. Does Windows 7 out of the install, not a Compaq install that comes with extra software, burn VIDEO DVD's that play on a normal DVD player?

OSX WILL burn CD's and DVDs from finder out of the install. Just not sure on a Movie DVD that will play on a set top DVD player since I always use roxio toast here for all my burning needs.

Windows 7 Home Premium (which is what most Win 7 installations are) comes with Windows DVD Maker out of the box. It is specifically used to burn pictures and videos to a DVD viewable on a standard DVD player.

iDVD is still much better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
I haven't burned a DVD in my life and I think I only burned 1-3 cds.
I'm missing out here and now I have no Idvd I are piissed :)

OP
F
Reaction score
any movie you burn from the finder only burns data. Movies files will not play anywhere out of the computer. I used a program from Roxio called vhs to dvd. They should not be allowed to call it that because it only copies the files to the computer and then they tell you to edit in imovie and burn it with idvd. Oh thats right, I don't have idvd....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Windows 7 Home Premium (which is what most Win 7 installations are) comes with Windows DVD Maker out of the box. It is specifically used to burn pictures and videos to a DVD viewable on a standard DVD player.

iDVD is still much better.

Glad they finally are including something like that.

I have never used iDVD to burn a movie. Always Roxio Toast and make menus there also.

Reaction score
Just a quick question then. is it possible to copy iDVD from my machine and put on Disk for a future iMac upgrade where I won,t get iDVD on a new MAC ?.

C

chas_m

There's no assurance that iDVD will work past Lion (or even the next Lion update). You can install it from your iLife 09 disc onto a Lion system (and then updates to it will show up in Software Update) but Apple has discontinued / abandoned it so there's no promise it will work in the future and almost certainly won't work on future machines.

OP
F
Reaction score
I now have idvd on my new make but I don't have any themes. Can anypone tell me where I can download themes for idvd 9

C

chas_m

You'll need to get them from your iLife install disc. There is no "download" of iDVD themes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" Mac 2.7GHz,i5,8G ram OSx10.8.3
Fastbike, apple support has iLife '11 with iDvd on it for $50.00.

Reaction score
Windows DVD Maker

Just curious as I have never looked. Does Windows 7 out of the install, not a Compaq install that comes with extra software, burn VIDEO DVD's that play on a normal DVD player?

OSX WILL burn CD's and DVDs from finder out of the install. Just not sure on a Movie DVD that will play on a set top DVD player since I always use roxio toast here for all my burning needs.

In Windows 7, Vista and XP, the user can burn videos dvd with Windows DVD Maker that is part of Windows live software that include Movie Maker. All this is available with a Windows update. It is like iLife for PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.