• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How to record Mac screen including system audio?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.4GHz iPhone 3GS
Hi, I just bought a Macbook Pro, and I wanted to record some segments of video including audio.

So, I added Quicktime to the dock, right clicked it (secondary clicked it by tapping the touchpad with two fingers lol) and clicked New Screen Recording.

Then I clicked the dropdown arrow to selet audio and the only option was 'Built-in Input:Internal Microphone'

So I selected that and then I realised that it was just recording the sound that the computer's speakers was generating through the mic.

It wasn't the worst quality, but then the Mac's fan started up and the quality just plummeted.

Anyway, so I was reading about this thing called Soundflower at: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2137094?start=0&tstart=0

Is that ok to do?

Alternatively I've read suggestions about getting a 3.5mm jack (double ended I guess) and connecting one end to audio input and one to audio output.

The problem is that I have the 13" macbook, so there is only one 3.5mm audio socket.

However, I did a google search and saw this: USB to 3.5mm Audio Headphone Jack Cable (Black) CA080B - $1.61 - Affordable Cables

So if I use this type of cable, will it work? If it will, then I'l buy that cable, because I don't really want to mess about with hacks or anything. Unless its safe/easy/hassle- and problem-free??

So, what's my best option?

1.) Soundflower
2.) That usb/3.5mm cable
3.) Anything else you guys can think of (that's free or very low cost :p)

Thanks in advance!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Soundflower is the way to go. itll set you up with an internal audio device that you can select to record.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I read in quite a few places that Soundflower hasn't been working on newer versions of OS.

And then when I went to download it, it had last been updated back in 2010. I tried it anyway, but it didn't work.

Anyone know a way to make it work on Lion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
No . . . . . it is more than that and with Sound Flower installed . . . . . I would look further into it if i was you ;) Then again it might not be exactly what you want.

This in conjunction with QT it might do what you want.
Cheers

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No . . . . . it is more than that and with Sound Flower installed . . . . . I would look further into it if i was you ;) Then again it might not be exactly what you want.

This in conjunction with QT it might do what you want.
Cheers

Ah right, sorry, my bad.

Sounds good except...it costs money and I'm a little tight on money right now and recording audio isn't at the top of my to do list right now :p

So I'll have to pass on that one unfortunately.

Any free alternatives? It doesn't have to be perfect quality, just decent.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.