Mini-DVI to S-Video Adapter Not Working

Reaction score
So I recently purchased a Mini-DVI to Video Adapter, I've owned one before and used it on the television I tried to use it on this time however it doesn't work.

I have a late 2007 MacBook and the only thing that has changed since the last time I used this type of adapter is upgrading to Lion. I've tried using the S-Video connection as well as the standard video connection but no matter what Hz I use, or even what resolution, I get varying degrees of grayscale, flickering, wavy, multiplied, screen images.

The television is pretty old and the only thing I could think is that 60 Hz isn't a low enough refresh rate for it, however my display preferences don't allow anything lower. I even tried it on a different television however I got a similar result. I don't have a reason to believe the cable is defective since it seems to be a glitch in software somewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
I believe this to be one of two things either this is another thing affected by lion, or you have a faulty cable. I know that s-video cables can do some weird things when going bad, I would check with another cable if you have access to one, if not you may be able to just check it with the continunity checker on a multimeter.

I have not heard of this problem with lion before, but I do know that apple is no longer selling these they are still selling the one for the 1st gen macbook air which I have found to be unsupported by Lion. Maybe someone else has heard of lion compatibility issues with the tv adapters.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.