upgrade

Reaction score
Hi there, I have a macbook1,1 with 160GB hard drive N R2GB RAM .. with intel core duo and recently running snow leopard 10.6.7 on it...now i want to run lion on it. but to run lion on it i need to have intel core 2 duo processor on it ...is there any way yo to upgrade my core duo processor to core 2 duo...if anyone has any idea to upgrade my processor ..thanks in advance....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Nope, the processor is soldered in. But to be honest, there is nothing wrong with snow leopard, so unless you can afford a new mac, then SL is still great - and some people who have upgraded prefer it to Lion

OP
P
Reaction score
upgrade processor

i have a macbook1,1 with intel core duo processor , 160 GB hard drive,32-bit operating and 2GB RAM currently running snow leopard 10.6.7 on it .. but now i want to run lion on it.. but to run lion on it i need intel core 2 duo with 64 bit operating system...Please if there is any expert on how to upgrade to core 2 duo processor .....please help me out..I need it badly.:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
You cannot upgrade the processors in notebooks. This is true across the board from the Mac machines to any and all notebooks and laptops in existence. This is because the chipset is part of the mainboard/logicboard.

The only way you will be able to do what you want is to get a new notebook.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As louishen noted, SL (for now) is more than sufficient for day to day usage. Is there any particular Lion feature that you need right now?

At some point in the future, Snow Leopard will become obsolete but for now, you should be fine with what you have.

EDIT: Merged threads and moved to more appropriate forum. Please do not crosspost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
With my experience, I have found the about 90% of laptops you can actually upgrade the processor. The select few that you cannot upgrade include smaller laptop such as 10-12" screen and Mac Laptops. There are small companies that would do this, but there is not guarantee that you will have a working laptop in the end and the cost is way over the price of buying one of the higher end macbook pros brand new.

As for Lion, I am running it on two of my computers, my macbook and Macbook Pro. the macbook the hard drive died before installing the OS, so i figured out away to do a clean install rather than install Leopard on other mac (lost original disc and retail does not work on this model), move the hard drive back to the macbook, then upgrade to Snow Leopard, then update to 10.6.6 or newer, then upgrade to lion and do it's update. Well the MacBook runs great, but the MacBook Pro which was upgraded From Snow Leopard is terrible, which is suppose to be much faster but is not. There is problems with safari and other programs. Also, they took more programs and features out then they added in.

So either know what you are getting into and losing and buy a new Mac or stay with Snow Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.