Help! I've forgotten ALL of my passwords!

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently having trouble accessing my MacBook Pro. I haven't opened it for some couple months and now I cannot remember all of my passwords which includes:
1. User/master password.
2. FileVault password. My files are encrypted.

I have no other account other than my main one. So, no administrator.
Do I have any hope? Can I possibly reset/clear the passwords?
Please, if anyone knows about this, help!!
I'm going to get killed if my parents find out about this. I just had the laptop this year for my birthday present! :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Do you have a backup of your files ?

Cheers ... McBie

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Without the Filevault and/or Administrator password there is NO way short of enlisting the NSA's help to recover your files (which is a good reason for not using it unless absolutely neccessary).

The flipside of this is I have a hard time believing your files are that important to you if you go months without even accessing your computer. You will probably have to bite the bullet and reformat the drive and reinstall the OS (assuming you have your OS disks).

OP
help_help
Reaction score
Without the Filevault and/or Administrator password there is NO way short of enlisting the NSA's help to recover your files (which is a good reason for not using it unless absolutely neccessary).

The flipside of this is I have a hard time believing your files are that important to you if you go months without even accessing your computer. You will probably have to bite the bullet and reformat the drive and reinstall the OS (assuming you have your OS disks).

I haven't open it for months because my softwares installed there are only trial versions. And I don't know what to do with them after 30 days. So I decided to switch back to my other laptop and PC (windows).

So far, I've only used my mac for writing journals, downloading manga & anime & music, going online and doing my Digital Artwork Project. I only have a backup for my DigiArts since I'm working on it until today with my PC. But too bad, I have none for my journals and downloads.

I know this is reckless and very stupid for not considering myself forgetting my PWs. But, although it's hard, I'm ready to lose them all now, so long as I can get to use my Mac again. So, can you please give me a step by step guide on what to do?

note: I have two dvds along with my mac. I have one labelled "mac OS X Install DVD" and another of "Applications Install DVD". I've had the first one in, but nothing happened since I'm locked outside of my desktop. What am I supposed to do?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
This is a step by step (most of it copied direct from the Apple Support site)

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install DVD into your DVD drive.

2. Shut down or restart your Mac. Wait a few seconds and then power it up by pressing the power button.

3. Immediately press and hold the C key and keep it pressed until your Mac boots from the DVD. You should see a Welcome screen. When the Language Chooser appears, select your language, and then click the Continue button (looks like an arrow).

4. Choose Utilities > Disk Utility.

5. Select your disk from the list on the left, and then click the Erase tab.

6. Select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the Format pop-up menu, type a name for your disk, and then click Erase. After the disk has been erased, choose Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility, and then follow the instructions in the Mac OS X Installer to reinstall Mac OS X.
Note: Once the installation is complete, you may be prompted to use the Applications installation disc that came with your computer to reinstall your iLife applications (GarageBand, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, and iWeb). To reinstall your iLife applications, insert the Applications installation disc, double-click the Install Bundled Software icon,
and then follow the onscreen instructions.

Reaction score
Sucks when you forget passwords for sure, i dont know away round this neither other than reformatting and reinstalling.

OP
help_help
Reaction score
This is a step by step (most of it copied direct from the Apple Support site)

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install DVD into your DVD drive.

2. Shut down or restart your Mac. Wait a few seconds and then power it up by pressing the power button.

3. Immediately press and hold the C key and keep it pressed until your Mac boots from the DVD. You should see a Welcome screen. When the Language Chooser appears, select your language, and then click the Continue button (looks like an arrow).

4. Choose Utilities > Disk Utility.

5. Select your disk from the list on the left, and then click the Erase tab.

6. Select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the Format pop-up menu, type a name for your disk, and then click Erase. After the disk has been erased, choose Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility, and then follow the instructions in the Mac OS X Installer to reinstall Mac OS X.
Note: Once the installation is complete, you may be prompted to use the Applications installation disc that came with your computer to reinstall your iLife applications (GarageBand, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, and iWeb). To reinstall your iLife applications, insert the Applications installation disc, double-click the Install Bundled Software icon,
and then follow the onscreen instructions.

Oh cool, thanks dude. I'll try that out. I'm gonna try to recall my master PW until tomorrow!

Sucks when you forget passwords for sure, i dont know away round this neither other than reformatting and reinstalling.

Yeah :[ LOL but oh well, I'm darn so careless myself. I should of had written those PWs down on a piece of paper or something, for later use. I guess that serves me well.. Byebye to my downloads -_-

C

chas_m

DO NOT repeat DO NOT engage Filevault if you are the sort of person who is going to forget your password.

Unless you are working for the CIA there's really no need for it anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.