Hiya guys >>

Reaction score
I have an iMAC the Cd / DVD drive will not read normal Cd's, it will however read DVD's and Burn DVD's but not Cd's. Can anyone offer any help with this? Is there anything i can do to solve to problem or does it need to visit the repair shop and what could be the possible problem,

Regards,
Mark.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Are you trying to read commercially-pressed CDs, or are they burnt? Does it occur with multiple discs?

OP
S
Reaction score
Hello there thanks for your reply, it happens with both commercial disc's and ones that have been burn't. Never happens with Dvd's at all though.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yep >

I have tried a selection of different cd's, but still to no avail. Its only DVD's its accepting.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't have any evidence to verify this, but I have always suspected that there are multiple lasers used in optical drives that support several different disc types. The reason I suspect this is that I've seen countless stories about optical drives that will suddenly stop working with one disc type, but be OK with others.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's an easy fix for your internal SuperDrive. With that said, I would highly recommend looking at a cheap, USB external. This will save you an awful lot of trouble and expense.

I use one of these with my MacBook Pro on occasion to lessen the wear on my internal drive - and it's also significantly faster in certain operations. And the best part is, if it fails, I'm only out the $40 or so, rather than having to rip apart my machine.

That particular model looks to be out of production, but there are many others like it. I think my recommendation would be to look into one of those for what are probably the very rare occasions you'll need to access CDs.

OP
S
Reaction score
Could there be a loose connection somewhere, that i can look inside of the iMAC its self?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If the SATA cable was loose, the drive would do nothing. It reads DVD's so the cables must be fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.