New to Mac Environment and Lost

M

myquay

Just started with MAC and am haing trouble with setting up a remote Printer [HP all-in-one] connected to Airport in another room via usb. Have a G5/OS X. Can't seem to find printer when it is remote, works fine when attached to CPU. How does one discover the IP address of a peripheral? Hope I'm not asking for the moon.
myquay

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
myquay said:
Just started with MAC and am haing trouble with setting up a remote Printer [HP all-in-one] connected to Airport in another room via usb. Have a G5/OS X. Can't seem to find printer when it is remote, works fine when attached to CPU. How does one discover the IP address of a peripheral? Hope I'm not asking for the moon.
myquay

With my HP Photosmart 8450 (bloody brilliant printer) there is a menu option on it to print off the ip address but I didn't need it as the printer uses Bonjour.

What model is your printer?

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Make sure Bonjour is enabled (APPLICATIONS > UTILITIES > DIRECTORY ACESS). If not, enable it.

Also, have you enabled the printer at the Airport that the printer is connected to? That Airport needs to know that it is providing printer services and should see the printer locally. You can check by opening the Airport Admin utility and looking at the Airport Base station that the printer is connected to. You should see the printer show up under the printing tab there. If not, then the airport needs to be configured for printing. Once the airport base station sees the printer, you should be able to find it in the PRINT & FAX area of the system prefs. Once the driver is installed it should work fin. I have an HP all-in-one and it works just great this way.

OP
M

myquay

Amen-Moses said:
With my HP Photosmart 8450 (bloody brilliant printer) there is a menu option on it to print off the ip address but I didn't need it as the printer uses Bonjour.

What model is your printer?

Amen-Moses

Thank you for responding. It's a 7130 All-in-one and it does not have that option. I was told it did but with a tech guy on the line we could not find it. I am not familiar with Bonjour but the Computer uses Rendesvous [sic?] to try top find it. Are they related? You can tell I am in the dark on this.
myquay

OP
M

myquay

baggss said:
Make sure Bonjour is enabled (APPLICATIONS > UTILITIES > DIRECTORY ACESS). If not, enable it.

Also, have you enabled the printer at the Airport that the printer is connected to? That Airport needs to know that it is providing printer services and should see the printer locally. You can check by opening the Airport Admin utility and looking at the Airport Base station that the printer is connected to. You should see the printer show up under the printing tab there. If not, then the airport needs to be configured for printing. Once the airport base station sees the printer, you should be able to find it in the PRINT & FAX area of the system prefs. Once the driver is installed it should work fin. I have an HP all-in-one and it works just great this way.

Thanks for your reply. Tried that; printer does not show up. How does one configure the Airport for printing I have tried to find it but can't. I don't know waht Bonjour is or how to enable it. I am feeling old and in the way.
myquay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
myquay said:
Thank you for responding. It's a 7130 All-in-one and it does not have that option. I was told it did but with a tech guy on the line we could not find it. I am not familiar with Bonjour but the Computer uses Rendesvous [sic?] to try top find it. Are they related? You can tell I am in the dark on this.
myquay

Aha, what version of OS X are you using, Apple used to call it Rendezvous but renamed it Bonjour for 10.4 (don't ask me why they just do that sometimes).

HPs website doesn't mention Rendezvous or Bonjour for that model (it does for my printer and it works well) but the HP website is rubbish anyway.

For your delectation this is what the section in the 7130xi model reference manual has to say about networking with a Mac:

"selecting an hp officejet on a network (Macintosh)

If your HP Officejet model supports networking, you can use automatic discovery
or manual setup to locate your printer using the HP All-in-One Setup Assistant
(Hard Disk:Applications:HP All-in-One Software:HP All-in-One Setup Assist).
Automatic discovery allows you to select from a list of printers on your network.
Manual setup allows you to type in the network IP address to access the desired
printer.
1 In the Paper size dialog box, select a default paper size and click Continue.
2 In the HP All-in-One Setup Assistant dialog box, click Next.
3 Select TCP/IP.
You can select a printer automatically or manually:

To set up automatically:
–Click the Rescan TCP/IP button. A list of available printers appears in
the Network Devices dialog box.
– In the Network Devices dialog box, select the desired printer.
–Click OK.
OR
To set up manually:
–Click the Create button.
– Enter the network IP address for the desired printer.
–Click OK.
4 Complete the HP-All-in-One Setup Assistant."

About as much use as **** on fish!

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
myquay said:
Thanks for your reply. Tried that; printer does not show up. How does one configure the Airport for printing I have tried to find it but can't. I don't know waht Bonjour is or how to enable it. I am feeling old and in the way.
myquay

Is the Airport the printer that is hooked up to the primary Airport (i.e the one that the internet connection goes into) or is it a secondary AP on the network for the purposes of printing etc?

OP
M

myquay

baggss said:
Is the Airport the printer that is hooked up to the primary Airport (i.e the one that the internet connection goes into) or is it a secondary AP on the network for the purposes of printing etc?

Yes it is plugged into the primary... the computer is plugged into the secondary which is located in another room.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What version of OSX are you using?

If your using 10.4.X, First make sure Bonjour is enabled: APPLICATIONS > UTILITIES > DIRECTORY ACCESS. There will be a check box for Bonjour once Directory Access opens, make sure it is checked.

OP
M

myquay

baggss said:
What version of OSX are you using?

If your using 10.4.X, First make sure Bonjour is enabled: APPLICATIONS > UTILITIES > DIRECTORY ACCESS. There will be a check box for Bonjour once Directory Access opens, make sure it is checked.

I ony have rendesvous and it is checked. Interesting developement... hooked up an Airport Express [the others are Extreme] and plugged printer into it and it found the printer... still would not print though. Time to chuck the HP and maybe even the G5. The old Dell works just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hang on a sec! Now you need to reinstall the Printer driver from the CD that came with it. When you select the printer in the System prefs you may have to specify the driver you want to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
myquay said:
I ony have rendesvous and it is checked. Interesting developement... hooked up an Airport Express [the others are Extreme] and plugged printer into it and it found the printer... still would not print though. Time to chuck the HP and maybe even the G5. The old Dell works just fine.

If you check the HP docks it will tell you which OS it requires, if you only have Rendezvous then it is an earlier version of OS X and may not be supported by the printer drivers delivered with the printer. Download the latest printer drivers from HP and install them.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the old Dell works just fine" does the Dell find the printer when it is plugged into the Airport Extreme?

Amen-Moses

OP
M

myquay

Amen-Moses said:
If you check the HP docks it will tell you which OS it requires, if you only have Rendezvous then it is an earlier version of OS X and may not be supported by the printer drivers delivered with the printer. Download the latest printer drivers from HP and install them.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the old Dell works just fine" does the Dell find the printer when it is plugged into the Airport Extreme?

Amen-Moses

No, I had it it plugged into a linksys router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
myquay said:
No, I had it it plugged into a linksys router.

Now I'm really confused, if the printer works when plugged into the Linksys why not just leave it there?

Mine is plugged into a Belkin router and it works fine.

Amen-Moses

OP
M

myquay

Amen-Moses said:
Now I'm really confused, if the printer works when plugged into the Linksys why not just leave it there?

Mine is plugged into a Belkin router and it works fine.

Amen-Moses
I dumped it all to go with apple; does apple work with any other routers. I thought you had to have airport extreme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
myquay said:
I dumped it all to go with apple; does apple work with any other routers. I thought you had to have airport extreme.

Nope, Airport Extreme is just the standard 54Mbps wireless standard.

I have a wireless Belkin router which has 4 ethernet sockets, one is connected to my cable TV set top box (2Mbps broadband), one connected to my mega beasty games PC (for fast low-lag online gaming) one to my iMac and finally one to my HP 8450 printer.

Upstairs I have a Mac Mini with wireless card, second PC with wireless card, downstairs we have an eMac with wireless card, a PowerMac with wireless card and finally my iBook with wireless card. The mega beasty PC also has a wireless card for maximum flexibility.

It all works like a dream, iTunes shared around the house, fab LAN parties, allways on internet everywhere and most importantly they all can share the printer.

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.