Problems with new Ibook lcd

B

barryjr

Hi all. I recently purchased the new Apple Ibook g4 12" 1.33ghz. I absolutely love it except for one defect....the lcd screen. When I move the top of the Ibook an any such manner (touching the white outer case ofcoarse), I notice a blotchy mark that turns blackish when in movement, almost as if a ghost puts its finger on the screen when the lcd is in movement from open to closed position. It only occurs in one spot and goes away when the screen is still. Is this a defective lcd? Should I try and get it replaced? It is annoying to see this every time the Ibook sees a little motion and do not want it to get worse. Is this the case with your screens? Thanks- Barry

OP
T

Tel

I'd guess that maybe part of the case is faulty and pressing against the back of the screen. Take it into an Apple store and see what they say.

Reaction score
If you press the front of most lcd's then you get the same thing. I dont think it does too much damage as long as it isn't too frequent.

It may be that the case isnt lined up right and the lcd is getting pressure applied. Make sure you aren't gripping it too hard then i'd go get it checked out, the worst they'll say is 'no thats normal' in which case you can sleep easy

OP
M

manyways

i have exactly the same problem as you on my iBook

went in and asked, they said it doesnt seem to be a bad fault, but if it did cause any problems i could bring it back under warranty.

u dont notice it as much under a white bckgnd and some other colours

i just got used to it and didnt really bother me anymore

OP
M

mangoSharingan

I have that too. It's like with most places I touch on the screen, it's always one part of the screen that 'ripples'. I don't think it's a defect though and it certainly hasn't interfered with my usage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I don't think it's a defect, I've had two iBooks and both do it, as does my Dell work laptop. It's just what happens when you put pressure on the LCD. I don't think there's anything to worry about.

OP
T

Tel

I could understand this from a 15" screen, but my 12" never does that. I have to put a lot of pressure on my monitor before it starts rippling, at least five times the amount of pressure that it takes to actually close the lid. I've also tried closing the lid from many different positions and its the same all over.

This is one of the things I really loved about my iBook when I first got it, compared to my old PC laptop which would show ripples if you were breathing a little too heavy.

OP
B

barryjr

I guess I just think it sucks when I pay 1000.00 for a new apple laptop and it is defective out of the box. When you pay that much for something, you expect pristine quality. It does affect the viewing pleasure when in a car or riding the local train. Just a shame that I have to deal with a defect brand new. I will try and get it replaced if I can. I am not going to settle on a defective product. Thanks for all your feedback.....very helpful!- Barry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
barryjr said:
I guess I just think it sucks when I pay 1000.00 for a new apple laptop and it is defective out of the box. .... I am not going to settle on a defective product. Thanks for all your feedback.....very helpful!- Barry
And just for the record, it is NOT DEFECTIVE...hehe. That is just the nature of a laptop LCD screen. Put pressure on it and it will ripple like that. As Schweb said, the same thing happened to a Dell he had. It is not an "Apple" thing or a "Dell" thing, or an "IBM" thing...etc, etc. That is just how it is with LCD screens in general.
I had the same thing happen on my iBook, my ThinkPad, by Lattitude and just about any laptop I have ever owned.
Its NOT A DEFECT!. :black:

OP
B

barryjr

The only reason I dispute this is because my buddy owns a powerbook. It does not have any issues with the lcd what so ever. Why does my ibook lcd?

D3v1L80Y said:
And just for the record, it is NOT DEFECTIVE...hehe. That is just the nature of a laptop LCD screen. Put pressure on it and it will ripple like that. As Schweb said, the same thing happened to a Dell he had. It is not an "Apple" thing or a "Dell" thing, or an "IBM" thing...etc, etc. That is just how it is with LCD screens in general.
I had the same thing happen on my iBook, my ThinkPad, by Lattitude and just about any laptop I have ever owned.
Its NOT A DEFECT!. :black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.