installing print utilities

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to install a Canon Pixma Pro 9000 printer onto my new Mac Mini. Near the end of the installation I get a message saying "Cannot create a Folder. The location you want to create in is write protected." I think it successfully installed the printer driver, but is choking on the Printer Utilities.

Using a terminal I was able to change permissions on the /Applications folder and on the /Applications/Utilities folder to 777, but that did not help. I still can't get the Canon Setup program to complete the installation and install the printer utilities.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin H.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Have you tried just having the printer on and connected then click on Software Update ?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You should avoid changing the permissions of a folder to 777 - giving everyone full read/write access is asking for trouble. It should be 775 (I think).

Does the installer ask for a password? If it does, it should be given elevated permissions.

OP
K
Reaction score
osxx,

No, haven't tried that yet. Where is "Software Update?" Sorry if I'm a little dim about all this. The Mac world is brand new to me.

Kevin H.

OP
K
Reaction score
Vansmith,

The installer did not ask for a password. I will be changing the permissions back to their original state, 775, once I get through this issue.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin H.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If the installer is trying to install something outside of ~ and /Applications (and a few other diretcories such as /tmp), you'll need elevated privileges. That said, it should ask for it if it needs it. This leads me to believe that it doesn't need them.

What file are you downloading and trying to install? I want to give it a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
osxx,

No, haven't tried that yet. Where is "Software Update?" Sorry if I'm a little dim about all this. The Mac world is brand new to me.

Kevin H.

 > Software Upadte right underneath About This Mac if there are new or improved drivers it will come in with updates.

OP
K
Reaction score
vansmith: I'm using the CD that came with the printer. It has the printer driver and some printer utilities that I want to use. It's the utilities, I think, that are causing the problem. The printer is working, but the printer utilities didn't make it.

osxx: I tried Software Update as you recommended. It loaded up several updates, but not the printer driver or any printer utilities.

I will try to go on-line to Canon to see if I can download the printer utilities there.

Kevin H.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.