Map Network Drive

Reaction score
Guys.

I have just got my macbook and while i am loving it, i am finding something hard coming from the windows word for the last 20 years.

I have a NAS that i would like to map or mount when i reboot the laptop. Now i have gone to GO / Connect to server and i have connected no problems.

Now does mac not use drive letters for its drive mappings?

anyway i have also gone in to settings / accounts / login items and added the folder from server i connected to in GO

I have also ticked the box hide but when i reboot and login the folder opens and i dont want that. I just want to know its there when i need it.

i am really sorry if this is such a noob question but i am trying to get to grips with this amazing OS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Correct, there are no drive letters in OS X. Just mount points.
If you use the Go To Folders option after you've connected to a network server type in /Volumes, you'll see the mount points here.

You don't really need to put in your startup items as long as you create an alias of the network mount from your desktop or as I prefer an alias from the /Volumes folder.

Personally I use Automator to create an application to run on login. I use the get specified servers and connect to servers from the files and folders library.

Kind of like a batch file in Windows.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks mate.

Do you have an example of your script? if using a script is the way to do it then thats fine. I really just want to set it and forget it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks mate for that. will give that a go. Have to say i am loving my mac now i am getting over some of the windows to mac tasks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.