MacBook Pro Newbie (Converted)

Reaction score
Howdy folks. Yes, I have taken the plunge from the PC world into the cool new world of Apple Macbook Pro Lion. I am also loving my iPhone 4s, iPad 2, Apple TV, etc. However, As I have been getting familiar with the OS X Lion, I have run into a bug which appears to be a problem some other folks are experiencing. I have searched and tried most of the resolutions, but to no avail.

It is that my Login Items are not being saved or 'sticking' upon a restart/startup. Just plain won't stay around. Anybody got any deeper resolutions than just checking boxes, and doing scripting applications, deleting Preferences files, etc. I am going crazy with this, as nothing is working. Just want to have iTunes and Mail applications start each time I log in. Help would be graciously appreciated. Thanks in advance!

C

chas_m

Having Mail and iTunes start up on login is not a "Login items" issue.

Just right-click on the icon in the dock and choose "Options -> Open at Login."

But here's another idea you might not have considered: why are you having to login at all? There's no need to do this.

OP
D
Reaction score
Well, I have already done as you have suggested from the dock and no luck. It is indeed a login items issue. I use auto login anyways and upon startup these apps do not load. They are always gone from my login items list in System preferences under User. It is annoying and a bug like this should be easy to fix for an Apple product. Thanks for the reply. Others are having the same issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
It sounds like it is specific to you. While I dont run those applications, I do have my Outlook kick off as well as Safari. The only time I "log in" is when I bring the machine back from sleep mode, at which point, it will not resume as if rebooted, it resumes with only what I happen to have running at the time it went to sleep. I dont have it require a password at boot time - I am the only one who uses it.

OP
D
Reaction score
Well, I don't log in either, per say. I have the auto log in set so there is never the bother of having to put in a password at startup or return from sleep. Am I missing something here that the login items only stick and execute if I have to actually log in with a password? My understanding is that the login items are the same as Windows startup. Supposed to load the programs upon entry into Windows. If you look at your system preferences under User and look at what you have for your login items, does it show Outlook and Safari? All I have and I can't delete or add to is iTunes Helper and Mac Informant. Help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I will have to verify when I get home. At work, I am not on a Mac.

C

chas_m

Well, I don't log in either, per say.

So I'm not really clear on whether you're misusing the term "log in" or whether you're just not sure.

Logging in (even auto-login) only happens when the machine has been restarted or shut down and started back up. Putting the machine to sleep and coming back to it is not a "log in" so of course programs set to log in would not do so.

What I guess I'm not understanding is this ... if you need these two programs open all the time, why not just, um, leave them open all the time? Just put the machine to sleep when you're not using it (or is that what you're doing)?

A clearer explanation of exactly how you are using your computer would really help.

OP
D
Reaction score
Remember, I am coming from the PC world. What Apple calls 'Login Items' I have assumed to be like 'Startup Programs' in the Windows world. I understand that returning from sleep mode gets the desktop back as it looked before. That is not my issue. The bug or deficiency in my OS LION system is that the Login Items do not get saved when I set them in System Preferences, and upon Startup or Restart of the MBP, my iTunes and Mail programs are gone from the Login Items list, and therefore do not load. I know it is as simple as just manually starting the programs when the Desktop is up, but why, when I can set them automatically to load (which is not working). Somebody has to have a resolution for something as simple as this feature in Apple's OS world??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It isn't Lion.

I just messed with adding new startup items on mine, and rebooted several time, logged out several times, and there were no issues with the items remaining in the startup. In other words, I cannot replicate your issue.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, some folks have my issue, but most don't. Looking for solution from someone that can pin point the problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
System Preferences, General Tab. Remove the check from the box that says "Restore windows when quitting and reopening apps" Let us know if that works for you. If it doesn't , I have another suggestion - just post back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.