Hard drive error - snow leopard

Reaction score
When using external hard drive or USB memory stick I occasionally get an error message telling me not to remove an external drive without ejecting it when the drive is still connected and being used. Is this a hardware or software problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
When using external hard drive or USB memory stick I occasionally get an error message telling me not to remove an external drive without ejecting it when the drive is still connected and being used. Is this a hardware or software problem?

It's a user problem. You are supposed to dismount, or "eject" the drive before removing it. Failing to do so risks corruption of the drive contents.

EDIT: DOH! I just realized you said you get that message when it's still in. Hmmm… best guess here is that it's a hardware problem. That USB port may be intermittently losing power to it. Try a different port to see if the problem continues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.