Connect PC laptop directly to mac?

Reaction score
Hi

I have just bought a PC laptap running Windows XP (wanted a pc laptop because I'm a web designer and need to check my work both on mac and pc).

Anyway at home I can transfer files between my G4 and pc laptop via my router, what I want to know is can I connect directly to another mac from my PC laptop, for example If I want to connect to my mac at work where I can't access the router or connect it to the network? If this is possible, how?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Save yourself the hassle and get a large capacity thumb drive.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm talking about 30, 40 gigs of data!

Thought I should point out my mac at work doesnt have an airport card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
MacsWork said:
Save yourself the hassle and get a large capacity thumb drive.

The thumb drive is not a very good idea. With networking being so easy these days, the thumb drive would be the hassle.

All you need to do is setup a shared folder that is accessible to both computers. After about ten minutes of setting up both machines, you can transfer all of the files that you want. Here are some instructions.
http://macs.about.com/cs/tipstutorials/a/xp_osx_sharing.htm

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks! That's more or less how I connect at home via my router.

Is it possible to connect directly between pc laptop and mac via , lets say a USB connection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macacomoco said:
Thanks! That's more or less how I connect at home via my router.

Is it possible to connect directly between pc laptop and mac via , lets say a USB connection?

Ok, I see your point. If the computers are next to each other, maybe one of these methods would work.

- Setup the network share like you normally do and then run a network cable directly from the mac to the PC.

- If you need to keep the mac connected to your work's network, then you can install a second ethernet adapter in the Mac and connect it directly to the laptop.

- You can also install a wireless adapter on the mac and setup an ad-hoc wireless network.

I hope that this helps. Maybe you can connect two computers with a USB cable, but I don't know how to do it. It may prove to be more confusing than just setting up network shares:
http://lpt.usbfireinfo.com/Questions/USBConnectFAQ/usbconnectfaq.htm

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your help, I'll try to 'Setup the network share like you normally do and then run a network cable directly from the mac to the PC'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I beg to differ,...I see many more "how do I network" posts, rather than "how do I copy and paste" posts.

I'm with you,...networking is easy,...but not for many

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacsWork said:
I beg to differ,...I see many more "how do I network" posts, rather than "how do I copy and paste" posts.

I'm with you,...networking is easy,...but not for many

OK, I'll rephrase:

Setting up a network is easy, after you've done it once.

M

Merlinblack

timswim78 said:
- Setup the network share like you normally do and then run a network cable directly from the mac to the PC.

Make sure it is a cross over cable not a straight through cable. It will not work with a straight through cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
a normal network cable runs fine... i've got no issues. It works on panther & tiger as far as i know. Maybe not earlier OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.