G5 still good for just web browsing ?

Reaction score
Hello ,so i am looking at a G5 2004 dual 2.5 w/6gb of ram that a co worker has
For sale since he recently upgraded (he is only asking $250).
My question is since i am very new to the Macworld would this be a decent
Unit for just web browsing and maybe jus checking email ?
I dont have alot of extra cash and i dont really play video games +I do think
They look really cool. :Smirk:
Your feed back would be greatly appreciated ...thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
For "simple" web browsing and email, yes it will suffice. But the last version of OS X that it will run is 10.5 Leopard, which is increasingly being left behind. Web standards are evolving and the web browsers are evolving to keep up. Firefox 8 does still support Leopard, so you should be covered for the near future with HTML 5 and other advancements. If you don't need to be completely up-to-date with web standards for your needs, then it should work well for some time to come. But… be sure it is running Mac OS 10.5 Leopard AND he gives you the install discs. If it has 10.4 Tiger, then you won't be able to run the latest versions of Firefox or anything else and are facing spending another 100+ dollars to upgrade.

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info much appreciated , Do u think I would be able to stream stuff like
Pandora or Spotify ? Or I should just keep saving my $$ and jus by a nicely used 2007 macbook pro, i only say that cause ive seen them on CL here locally in $for like
$400- $550.
Again thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Ok thanks for the info much appreciated , Do u think I would be able to stream stuff like
Pandora or Spotify ? Or I should just keep saving my $$ and jus by a nicely used 2007 macbook pro, i only say that cause ive seen them on CL here locally in $for like
$400- $550.
Again thanks

The advantage of the MacBook Pro is that you can run Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard), which has only recently been superseded by 10.7 Lion. It's a much more capable OS and would serve you very well for some time to come. And even if it doesn't come with Snow Leopard, you can buy it for 30 bucks.

Pandora will run fine on the G5.

According to Spotify's web site… their software will not run on the G5. An Intel processor is required. That means the G5 is out of the question.
Spotify Mac - Free Download for Mac OSX - Spotify

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
$400- $550.
Again thanks

To make your purchase decision easier...you should first decide whether you want/need a desktop or laptop computer. Currently you mentioned a Powermac G5 (desktop computer)...and a MacBook Pro (laptop computer).

If the Powermac G5 (desktop computer) is what you need/want (and if this computer is not powerful enough for you)...then the next logical step up is another desktop computer like an Intel iMac (which would be more affordable than a Mac Pro).

If you need/want a laptop computer...then you should totally forget about the Powermac G5 (desktop computer).

Of course we need to keep your budget in mind ($250...or continue saving)...my vote is continue saving...and purchase some sort of Intel based Mac.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And I go with Nick...give the G5 a miss. I think the $250 would be better put to an Intel machine capable of running Snow Leopard and Lion. The PowerPC machines are stuck at OS X.5.8 and that is where they will stay alas. We all loved our G5's, but progress keeps moving on.

OP
C
Reaction score
yes I do agree I think I'll keeps saving up and hopefully get me a 24" Imac soon!!
Thanks again guys !!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.