keychain password problem

Reaction score
I've passed on my old iBook to my 9 year-old grandson, who's delighted with it. However, when it came to setting up an email account he hit a big snag. An on-screen message asked for his keychain password. I'd already changed the log-in password, but this was a new one on me. I'm ****ed if I can remember any such password. How can we get round this, please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
Typically the keychain password is the password for the user account. Try typing his password in. I have also seen where sometimes you change the password, and the keychain password does not change, so if it does not work try your old password.

Let me know if this works, if it doesn't I may be able to help you reset the keychain password, but would have to look into this.

OP
D
Reaction score
keychain password

Thanks, Rusty. The problem is that the password for the user account is one that I set up myself years ago, and cannot remember. I changed the log-in password when I handed over the computer, to something that he would know, but the keychain password has not changed, for some reason. Any clues on hwo to change this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The best thing to do in that situation is to open the Keychain Access.app and delete the old password. After that he can setup a new one for mail. You can do the same if you also have trouble remembering the wireless password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
If you know the password, then you can go to Applications>Utilities and open Keychain Access. Once that has opened, you can click Edit then Change Password for Keychain "login". You may have to unlock keychain access to have that option. Let me know if this works or not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.