hot ibook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gig ram, 120 gig-----Powerbook G3 Pismo 500, 1gig ram, 80 gig HD, DVD/CD-RW
after a while of use on my ibook g3, the left side of the track mouse area seems to get hot...is this normal, or could this explain why it runs 10.2 extremely poor. it runs 9.2 absolutely fine. i just dont know if the heat thing is normal or not...any help is appreciated. thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
Isn't your hotspot where the hard drive is located? I know that some guys who were running linux, had this problem and corrected it by updating the linux kernel.

In your situation, does the spot get hot when running OS 9, or does it only get hot when running OS X?

Y

yuwing

i'd stick with OS9. heat from harddrive will slowly kill the harddrive if it is really hot. Also i would install some programs that will monitor the hardrdive temperature.

if it is over 55C, then it should raise some concerns but nothing too much to worry about cause temperature concerns are subjective. some people dont' really care about the temperature of the hardrdive unless it is over 60-70C.

I'm not a mac user for a long time, only recently bought a G4 ibook so i'm not an expert or anything. However, i did deal with some harddrive troubles in my old laptop. I researched and ithink this really applies to your case:

basically, OSX is a big operating system and requires more memory (ram). when you access something that requires more memory than what you have already used, the old memory has to be deleted in order to make space. however, if you want it back, the harddrive has to access it again.
for those who have sufficient memory, the harddrive doesn't need to be spun as the old memory is kept in its place. so therefore, harddrive doesn't need to do any work at all.

Hence, i think u need more ram :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
Are you using Virex? Check you activity monitor in Applications->Utilities folder. Chek all running processes. There might be something that is using a lot of your system resources. I had Virex on mine and it was using 76% of my CPU's prossesing power causing it to really heat up. There shouldn't be anything using more than 20% contstantly. But I would check that could be something else too. Good luck..

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gig ram, 120 gig-----Powerbook G3 Pismo 500, 1gig ram, 80 gig HD, DVD/CD-RW
timswim78 said:
Isn't your hotspot where the hard drive is located? I know that some guys who were running linux, had this problem and corrected it by updating the linux kernel.

In your situation, does the spot get hot when running OS 9, or does it only get hot when running OS X?

as far as i know, the computer gets hot in both...its just gradual over time.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yuwing said:
i'd stick with OS9. heat from harddrive will slowly kill the harddrive if it is really hot. Also i would install some programs that will monitor the hardrdive temperature.

if it is over 55C, then it should raise some concerns but nothing too much to worry about cause temperature concerns are subjective. some people dont' really care about the temperature of the hardrdive unless it is over 60-70C.

I'm not a mac user for a long time, only recently bought a G4 ibook so i'm not an expert or anything. However, i did deal with some harddrive troubles in my old laptop. I researched and ithink this really applies to your case:

basically, OSX is a big operating system and requires more memory (ram). when you access something that requires more memory than what you have already used, the old memory has to be deleted in order to make space. however, if you want it back, the harddrive has to access it again.
for those who have sufficient memory, the harddrive doesn't need to be spun as the old memory is kept in its place. so therefore, harddrive doesn't need to do any work at all.

Hence, i think u need more ram :)

yes, i do only have 128, so i believe this theory...im in the process of getting more...im just waiting for it to come in now..i got a 512 stick :) that will max out my mem and hopefully make it run better as well!

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
fyrman22 said:
Are you using Virex? Check you activity monitor in Applications->Utilities folder. Chek all running processes. There might be something that is using a lot of your system resources. I had Virex on mine and it was using 76% of my CPU's prossesing power causing it to really heat up. There shouldn't be anything using more than 20% contstantly. But I would check that could be something else too. Good luck..

i checked my running processes and non of them are using over 9%.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thankyou guys for youe posts...all were very helpful and if the memory upgrade fixes the problem, or i find something else i will post again! thankyou again! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.