Issues with my Superdrive.

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a mid 2007 Intel iMac, model ID 7,1 , the optical drive is still the original one that came with the machine a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-85J: .

Lately I've been having trouble burning DVDs, it will play DVDs just fine but when I try to burn one it refuses to do it, when I use the burn utility that is found in Disc First Aid it gives me the following message :
"The disc can’t be burned, because the device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media." If I use Toast it gives me an error message and a number.
I am wondering if the drive is finally giving up the ghost, so to speak, or if maybe it's software related.
I would be really grateful for any help and suggestions,
Thanks
WoodMaven:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It sounds like the drive is toast. These slot-loading drives are notoriously bad. I wouldn't even replace it. Get an external one and call it a day.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
External USB dual layer burner drives are inexpensive. You can find them at most stores which sell computers and their accessories. I purchased an external Samsung dual layer burner (on line) from Amazon for $29.95 and it works well. Expect to pay more for one that also has a firewire connector.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Brand-wise, I prefer Plextor and Pioneer. It's possible to get one that is bus-powered over USB, meaning no need for a power cable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.