safari top sites

Reaction score
Hey,

I would appreciate if somebody could explain how safari top sites work? I am using google chrome all the time so I am not familiar with safari.
Are top sites the most frequently and recently used sites?
how are the top sites affected if private browsing is on?

and also, is is possible that the site that you are not using any more (you were using it about 3 years ago), would pop up in between the ones you are using every day like gmail and facebook?
(I found a very juicy website on my BF top sites, and he is claiming he was not using it for the last 3 years?!?!?)

also, there was one site for a museum we were planning to visit about a year and a half ago, and it comes up on top sites as well? how is that possible? is it surely not the most frequetly visited site...
I am really confused....

I would appreciate your help. Many thanks in advance. V.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hey,

I would appreciate if somebody could explain how safari top sites work? I am using google chrome all the time so I am not familiar with safari.
Are top sites the most frequently and recently used sites?
how are the top sites affected if private browsing is on?

and also, is is possible that the site that you are not using any more (you were using it about 3 years ago), would pop up in between the ones you are using every day like gmail and facebook?
(I found a very juicy website on my BF top sites, and he is claiming he was not using it for the last 3 years?!?!?)

also, there was one site for a museum we were planning to visit about a year and a half ago, and it comes up on top sites as well? how is that possible? is it surely not the most frequetly visited site...
I am really confused....

I would appreciate your help. Many thanks in advance. V.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
No - not likely that a 3 year old site would suddenly materialize in Top Sites. Basically - it's as you described - it's either the sites you most frequently use or the sites that you have manually assigned to appear there.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Of course - now that I think about it - if he's been 'private browsing' since then it could still show up (assuming it never went away...that is.)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've merged your duplicate threads - please stick to a single thread per topic. Thank you.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks Brian.
No the site was not there before. I am sure I would have noticed it...somehow.
Sorry about the two threads.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's interesting though - I see you've asked this same question about 3 months ago... ongoing issue?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.