Upgrading to Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Hello all

I need to upgrade my iMac G5 from Tiger so i can sync with my iPad and iPhone

My spec is:
1.83 ghz Intel Core Duo
1GB 667mhz DDR2 SDRAM

Would my iMac be able to 'handle' running Snow Leopard or should i just go for Leopard? I really only use it for surfing the net and i have a large iTunes library. I would like to run Snow Leopard but was wondering if there are any issues running this on an older machine?

Thanks in advance

Raff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Snow Leopard will not run on the iMac G5. But you also are saying your CPU is an Intel Core Duo? If so, then you do NOT have an iMac G5. In that case, I would certainly go to Snow Leopard, but you really need more RAM. It supports a maximum of 2 GB from what I'm reading. Be aware that this is end-of-life in terms of upgrades. Lion and onwards will never support your machine, so make the most of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is not a G5 iMac - it is an Intel model as indicated by that Intel Core Duo. Buy Snow Leopard from Apple online for $29 and do a clean install. With the money you saved, buy an external case and a SATA hard drive and keep it for backing up your system. First back up will be of Tiger to save files, and transfer them over using Migration Assistant.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.