1 Hard drive for OS and 1 Hard drive for files vs RAID 0?

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a powermac G5 and need the best performance.
I use logic pro 8. Which is best:

1 Hard drive for OS and 1 Hard drive for logic files.

or

2 Hard drive set to RAID 0 for OS and Logic files.

Which would be faster?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 2GB GPU, 2 OWC Mercury Extreme SSD's @ 1,100Mb/s
ok, now i'm no expert, but i'm in the same boat as you sort of- i'm upgrading my current beast mode set up to a RAID set up, but i'm debating between RAID01 and RAID10.

SO, here's what i know - numbers are for illustrational purposes only.

a 5400rpm HDD will have approx. 60Mb/s In/Out functions
vs. a SSD from Apple is roughly 258Mb/s in/out functions
vs. a OWC SSD is roughly 550Mb/s in/out functions
vs 2 OWC SSD's in RAID 0 is roughly 1,100Mb/s in/out functions

so, that's the speed differences by setup. so if you have two hard drives, running at 5400 or 7200 rpm, eitherway, as long as they're the same both HDD's have to spin and locate the data it's looking for and that takes time, if the OS is on one HDD and the documents are on the other it makes sense to RAID them because then they can work together and virtually double the HDD performance. -- what i would do if i was you, keep your HDD for the data, and get a SSD for your OS. dont' worry about RAID.

just my opinion, and i could be way off for your system. that's stuff for my latest and greatest set up, yours could be different and you'll have to ask a genius about that. cuz, i dunno. but the above is what i have learned so far.

hope it helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.