• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

how do windows users do it?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Where would I find that menu to disguise Safari? My menu bar does not seem to have the "Develop" next to Window. When I have a Safari window open its just Bookmarks then Window. Maybe I could try that.
My apologies - I forgot to mention that earlier. Thanks to osxx for stepping in. :)

The link you provided for us is the page that one is sent to when the website figures out that you're not using IE. That would be why dtravis7 couldn't get around it. ;)

Could you repost it for us?

EDIT: I think I got it. Is this it? If so, Opera handles it with ease without having to change the user agent string. Firefox, Chrome and Safari on the other hand get redirected to the "noie" page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Processor:2.7GHz Intel Core, 4GB 1333 MHz, Mac OS X Lion, 27 in. display
Yikes sorry for the delay, missed the notification on this reply:[

Yep thats the same link. And what you say makes sense. So Guess it just means I need to decide if its worthwhile to get Opera just so I can use that one website? Or use Opera for everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X Version 10.6.8 Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory: 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3 :P
Know what you mean!

I used to use an old '05 XP Professional, but I could have sworn is was doing everything it's computer-self could to mess with my head. Those things are not only difficult to navigate, that specific version hurt my eyes, as the screen was so awfully bright and I simply could not figure out how to dim it. It's like it didn't want me to know. Not only that, but it was continuously freezing whenever I tried to tamper with the Preferences... and let's face it, we all do it every now and then. Owning a computer just wouldn't be the same if you couldn't customize it or play around with the settings from time to time.

I was freaking delighted when I bumped into my faithful MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro PowerBook G4 ipod classic imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Me i find W7 ok to work on maybe its because i have always used a windows machine,
i find apple strange but i love finding things out about the apple and what it can do, i will never be a full apple man purely for the fact i have to use a windows machine at work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My apologies - I forgot to mention that earlier. Thanks to osxx for stepping in. :)

The link you provided for us is the page that one is sent to when the website figures out that you're not using IE. That would be why dtravis7 couldn't get around it. ;)

Could you repost it for us?

EDIT: I think I got it. Is this it? If so, Opera handles it with ease without having to change the user agent string. Firefox, Chrome and Safari on the other hand get redirected to the "noie" page.

I had found this Softpedia article, from August 2011, and supposedly there was some glitches to running Opera on OS X Lion, but version 11.51 is supposed to be an update with some of the bugs fixed. Mind you the article does say that there was still some bugs that have not been fixed yet it was still released.:Confused:

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Me i find W7 ok to work on maybe its because i have always used a windows machine,
i find apple strange but i love finding things out about the apple and what it can do, i will never be a full apple man purely for the fact i have to use a windows machine at work

No one says you ever have to be a Windows only or Apple only man. :p It's better to be fluent in other OS too. Just like being fluent in other languages.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I had found this Softpedia article, from August 2011, and supposedly there was some glitches to running Opera on OS X Lion, but version 11.51 is supposed to be an update with some of the bugs fixed. Mind you the article does say that there was still some bugs that have not been fixed yet it was still released.:Confused:
Opera 11.51 is "old." Opera 11.61 is the most current version and should have no issue running on Lion.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Opera 11.51 is "old." Opera 11.61 is the most current version and should have no issue running on Lion.

I have never had an issue with Opera and Lion. I respect Van also on this as he is an Opera and Chrome person and uses both a lot.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can confirm that Opera 11.61 works perfectly. It even has support for Lion specific features such as full screen support.

Reaction score
No one says you ever have to be a Windows only or Apple only man. :p It's better to be fluent in other OS too. Just like being fluent in other languages.

Agreed! Why not enjoy the best from all worlds? It is impossible to have too much knowledge!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Ah thanks for that bit of info Van. I am not always up to speed on new Mac developments, but then isn't that partly what Mac Forums is for?;D

I will check out Opera then. Also agree about knowledge of both OS. Prior to switching, I had about 10 years of using PCs with Windows OS. So when I have to use the ones at my job for example, they run on Windows, so I can navigate them still with ease.

Though Ive only had this Mac since last November.

Reaction score
I like Windows 7 and have it installed through Parallels 7 on my iMac. At work, however it is a different story. We just upgraded from XP to Windows 7 and my casual exploring of Windows 7 on my iMac and having to do everything for work in Windows 7 is totally different. The opened folders view on the desk top is annoying. I prefer the old XP look of the flat folders. Again, as stated in other posts in this thread, I think Microsoft over did it trying to impress us with the "fluff". It is a learning curve, but when I get use to it I hope I can negotiate it a little faster. I am glad I still have XP on my old Sony Vaio desktop computer. It still works great.:Cool:

May God bless.

Ed

Reaction score
boot camp problem!

I just finished loading Windows 7 on my iMac and everything went fine until I tried to find Boot Camp in Windows. Luckily I was able to get back to Snow Leopard but I cant find Boot Camp on it either so I cant get back to Windows. Maybe it didnt load properly or maybe I am just dense. Can someone help me out?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You don't look for Boot Camp in OSX. You open System Preferences then click on Startup Disk. There you select the partition you want to boot. A better way though if you are only going to occasionally run Windows is hold down the Option Key right after the Startup Sound till the Boot Manager menu pops up.

While still in Bootcamp did you make the Driver CD/Flash Drive for Windows? When in Windows 7 did you run the installer and install all the drivers and the Boot Camp panel?

Reaction score
1 Question?!?

Do Windows users get a disk when they buy windows?

If so....Im sold

But for Win, im with Ronin67.
Its all about XP.
If running 7 Disable Aeroglass, run msconfig disable startup and services, cclean the registry. Should run smooth.

Kinda joking about the disk, although  really did upset me when they tried to resell me Lion which I already had.
There are a few things about  that could be improved. For instance it comes with a macro tool like automator but no defrag? And it would be cool if command,alt, esc had a processes tab like windows does. There are a lot of processes running on OSX to keep it looking cool.
Yet windows is inefficient. Im shocked that they still haven't caught on to multiple desktops. Even many Linux distros have Multiple desktops and they not even GUIfied.

Props to  for the trackpad on the newer laptops though. I try not to use a trackpad but when I do OSX features rock. With the 4 finger move to a different desktop. Sometimes if I need, or just to show friends, Ill have Windows and Linux running on virtual machines on different desktops. With a slide of the hand I flip to 3 different OS's. That is sooooo cool.

Reaction score
Tribute to Apple

Check out a mind map tribute i put together reviewing the last decade of the company. Let me know what you think??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I have no problem with windows is just couldnt stand using it for a long period of time. Mac is just the computer that is for me. It does what i want it to do without annoying me to death and looking bad. If you look at a PC it looks well boring and then if you look at a mac you will see that they actually thought about what they were doing when they were making the machine.

OP
Groovetube
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
wasn't sure where to put this, this seemed as good a place as any.

Trying to test a local file in win7 via vmware in IE9. it works in firefox, and ie in the winXP vmWare, but IE9 refuses.

What the heck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
wasn't sure where to put this, this seemed as good a place as any.

Trying to test a local file in win7 via vmware in IE9. it works in firefox, and ie in the winXP vmWare, but IE9 refuses.

What the heck.

Internet Explorer is not a very good browser at all...Sometimes it just quits, crashes, or just refuses to do what you want with it. Use FireFox if you can.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.