• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

how do windows users do it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
One thing I HATE (I am sure you do also) is for the AntiVirus to pop up in the middle of a Full Screen game right in an important part of that game! Had that happen way too many times.

That exact same thing just happened to me while playing Minecraft about an hour ago.

(Norton antivirus has started a full system scan!)

...and I die. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Guys, you can turn those popups off in the preferences for the individual apps...

Norton? Wow, I don't think you could have chosen a bigger system resource hog...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Guys, you can turn those popups off in the preferences for the individual apps...

Norton? Wow, I don't think you could have chosen a bigger system resource hog...

I didn't "choose" it. It was on the laptop when I got it, so I just use it. I'm inexperienced with Windows, so I'm not about to delete it and replace it with something else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
If you configure the built-in Windows Security apps from the control panel and pay attention to where you surf, there is no need for Nortons or McAfee or any of the huge virus scanners.

Reading the pages that come up and popups rather than just clicking willy-nilly will server you better than any virus scanner. You dont have to be a computer wiz to do that, you just have to slow yourself down and dont get lazy.

Largest source of viruses right now, FaceBook Games/Apps and unofficial "streaming" sites. If it isn't YouTube, Pandora, Spotify, NetFlix, Hulu and you are streaming video/audio, you are likely to get a virus. Flash-based video sites are the worst other than official sites for networks or the ones I listed above. The worst, and basically involves re-imaging your PC is the "Windows Virus Scanner" that gives you an "official" looking scan image that shows you are already infected when you aren't. Any website that pops up a window that says you are infected is the one doing the infecting - ALT-F4 until all browsers are closed. Do not click in the windows, even what looks to be a title bar. ALT-F4 to close them out.

Common sense and reading will save most people from viruses. I deal with these with my users on a near daily basis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you configure the built-in Windows Security apps from the control panel and pay attention to where you surf, there is no need for Nortons or McAfee or any of the huge virus scanners.

Reading the pages that come up and popups rather than just clicking willy-nilly will server you better than any virus scanner. You dont have to be a computer wiz to do that, you just have to slow yourself down and dont get lazy.

Largest source of viruses right now, FaceBook Games/Apps and unofficial "streaming" sites. If it isn't YouTube, Pandora, Spotify, NetFlix, Hulu and you are streaming video/audio, you are likely to get a virus. Flash-based video sites are the worst other than official sites for networks or the ones I listed above. The worst, and basically involves re-imaging your PC is the "Windows Virus Scanner" that gives you an "official" looking scan image that shows you are already infected when you aren't. Any website that pops up a window that says you are infected is the one doing the infecting - ALT-F4 until all browsers are closed. Do not click in the windows, even what looks to be a title bar. ALT-F4 to close them out.

Common sense and reading will save most people from viruses. I deal with these with my users on a near daily basis.

Good advice. Yes, I know not to click any of the pop-ups, even if they look official. I wish I could say the same for my parents, but they see something like that pop up they immediately click it thinking it's something important.

I've been lucky so far though, no viruses short of a few tracking cookies. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which one?
I'm a Mac OS X user to the core, and I've been stuck using a Windows Vista laptop for the past 2 months. Seeing as my iBook is on it's last leg, and I sold my PowerMac G5, it's really the only viable option for doing any real computing tasks.

I went to update it, and it said estimated time: 1 hour. 6 hours later it finally finished updating.

I need a Mac...desperately. :(

At the very least, dump Windows Vista and install Ubuntu 11.10.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I hope this does not offend anyone but I would rather not use a computer than use one with Norton or even McAfee on it! :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I hope this does not offend anyone but I would rather not use a computer than use one with Norton or even McAfee on it! :D

Of course in an "Ideal World"...we wouldn't need Norton, McAfee, or any other anti-virus program!:)

I guess using a Macintosh is as close as we can get to the "Ideal World" scenario!!!:):)

- Nick

OP
Groovetube
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
Of course in an "Ideal World"...we wouldn't need Norton, McAfee, or any other anti-virus program!:)

I guess using a Macintosh is as close as we can get to the "Ideal World" scenario!!!:):)

- Nick

that's pretty much it. Even though I at one time, built my own PCs, configured them, was quite content with having learned how to wrestle with windows, and set the settings that annoyed me, tweak it so it worked better, when I used a mac, it floored me that really, I din't have to do, a flippin thing. I enjoy mainly pushing on, and creating whatever it is I'm into, and hitting, off.

At some point, I had lost my way, instead of creating, I became a computer tinkerer. I found my way back thankfully.

I actually at one point started using linux and it wasn't bad. I have ubuntu studio in vmware, it's actually quite a cool OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 500GB OS10.7.2 i5, 4G 32GB iPod Touch
I used to be a Windows user. I'm pretty sure I'll have to revert back on rare occasions when using school computers at the library, however the major computing center and the language learning laboratory have dual-boot mac and windows systems now. In fact, before I made the switch with my laptop, I really got myself familiar with Snow Leopard, since that was what was loaded on the school computers. I deemed antivirus on my Dell useless because I was so careful with my browsing. I had Firefox and Chrome on my computer, disabled Internet Explorer (I hated it so much!) and had No-Script/ScriptNo respectively, effectively blocking EVERY flash based and script based process unless I manually let it through, as well as AdBlockPlus to block potential adware threats, and WebOfTrust to alert me when I was going to a potentially unsafe website. On top of that, Firefox, which I used most often (Chrome was the backup) would warn me when the website I would visit was deemed "unsafe". I would also be extremely careful about my downloads,and only downloaded files from trusted websites. I later obtained McAfee trial through a download from Adobe Flash (didn't intentionally consent, accidentally clicked Next in the installer) and figured meh what the heck I'm not going to uninstall it. It told me I had no viruses. I believed it because the computer ran fine. It was physically breaking on me, (Dead power cord, broken hinge) nothing to do with the OS environment. The only slowdown I had was due to running multiple programs, and firefox was a RAM hog... >.> so I switched to Chrome full time. I'm happy with chrome. And now I feel much more comfortable using it on my Macbook Pro over Safari. Safari works well on my iPod touch though :)

I'm so attached to OS Lion. Touchpad gestures... omg <3 So easy to scroll/surf/click, access widgets, and go back and forth between webpages since I spend most of my time either watching videos or going on the web. I also felt like having the dock on the bottom of my screen shortened it a bit too much, so I relocated it to the left side of my screen and it's great. Out of the way and my webpages are the perfect size. Everything is so intuitive and Finder is so easy to use. Mac couldn't feel more natural to me, and it's a bit TOO easy!

Granted, my first experience was a Macintosh Classic when I was extremely young, about 15-16 years ago. I'm 2 weeks short of my 21st birthday. I also spent the summer of 2003 on an iMac G3 in a Web design course based around Dreamweaver and Flash. I also used the newer OSX as mentioned on the school computers. I have also owned a myriad of iPods, ranging from the Mini, classic, and Touch. My parents have Shuffles and Nanos that I've been required to update for them, my mom an iPad, Dad has an iPhone now, and Dad's buying a new iPad for himself tomorrow. We're quickly becoming an Apple family. Windows is just so inefficient, and Mac does do the job better for me. Loving every minute of this new Macbook Pro. I have not had a single problem, a week in, knock on wood.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Processor:2.7GHz Intel Core, 4GB 1333 MHz, Mac OS X Lion, 27 in. display
I was going to start a new topic to ask about how well Internet Explorer is these days and how well or different does it run on Macs. Before my switch I had been using Chrome on a Windows machine, so I have not known how IE is lately.

But I found out I need IE to look at a particular website for my Turkish study, and for some reason the site does not seem to be supported by any other browser.:\ I know its lame but I can't find any other site like that one so I was considering getting IE to use sometimes on the Mac.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I was going to start a new topic to ask about how well Internet Explorer is these days and how well or different does it run on Macs. Before my switch I had been using Chrome on a Windows machine, so I have not known how IE is lately.

But I found out I need IE to look at a particular website for my Turkish study, and for some reason the site does not seem to be supported by any other browser.:\ I know its lame but I can't find any other site like that one so I was considering getting IE to use sometimes on the Mac.

Unfortunately, IE development for the Mac stopped back in 2003 or so - and that was IE5. And since it was developed for PPC machines, modern Macs running 10.7 (Lion) won't be able to run it.

Your only option, if you're convinced that the site won't work on any other browser, is to use CrossOver and run IE that way.

With that said, IE9 is a pretty decent browser. It's fairly quick, stable and has a clean, uncluttered look to it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with CWA. IE9 is getting there. I still like the others more though but it's no where near the mess IE 6 say was.

Also besides crossover, if you have anything else that needs Windows to run, you can install a copy in a VM and run windows right in a window on OSX! It's going to cost though for the Windows disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
I was considering getting IE to use sometimes on the Mac.
You're outta luck there buddy... Now such browser has existed since IE5...

And the licencing issues of using an emulator or WINE to run IE on a non-Windows system make it legally dubious at best...

The only completely free & legal way you're gonna get a stable instance of IE on your Mac now is to download the Windows 8 Developer Preview (yes, it's clunky pre-beta software; but it's legitimately free &, in my experience playing about with it, stable enough for basic web browsing), and then run it in either VirtualBox or VMware Player...

You can use an App called BluePoison to disable the "Metro" UI, just don't forget to install AV software (the Windows 7 version of Microsoft Security Essentials is good enough).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You may not actually need IE.

Every browser has what is called a user agent string. This identifies your browser and some other information. Here's mine:
Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_2) AppleWebKit/535.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/17.0.963.12 Safari/535.11
You can see that I'm running an Intel Mac with Lion while using Chrome 17 to browse the web. This piece of info is sent to every site I visit. Some designers/developers use this information to forward certain users to certain pages or they may do other things. At some point, you may have seen this and wondered how the website knew what browser you were (or weren't) running.

Some developers use this information to limit their web applications to certain browsers regardless of whether or not other browsers will work fine with it. This commonly happens with IE - many sites will say that only IE is supported and use UAS detection to limit users to IE regardless of the fact that other browsers may actually work with it. That's enough technical talk though.

You can change this string to mimic other browsers - this is called user agent spoofing. As you can see here, you have quite a few options in Safari:

safari_uas_spoof.jpg

Select any one of those options and Safari will appear to be the selected browser when you visit sites.

Now, this trick will only work if the site doesn't actually require IE. If it does require IE (for instance, if it uses ActiveX which truly is IE only), you'll have to use it. Otherwise, UAS spoofing may work for you and would save you from having to set up a VM just to visit this site. Spoofing the UAS in Chrome is tricky and requires you to launch Chrome from the command line (why they require this is beyond me) while Safari and Opera allow you to simply switch a setting.

What's the site? I can test it here to see if spoofing works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Processor:2.7GHz Intel Core, 4GB 1333 MHz, Mac OS X Lion, 27 in. display
Cool thanks Vansmith for offering to check it out.:Cool:
DISTANCE TURKISH LEARNING CENTER

But yeah I did try to click to the home page link, and others, and all came up with the same image essentially saying IE is needed to view the content of the site.

Where would I find that menu to disguise Safari? My menu bar does not seem to have the "Develop" next to Window. When I have a Safari window open its just Bookmarks then Window. Maybe I could try that.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is one nasty site there! :D

I tried every user agent plus Firefox Chrome and Opera and all get that same message! Wow. It must want ActiveX. Will mess with it on a PC later and see what I can find.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Cool thanks Vansmith for offering to check it out.:Cool:
DISTANCE TURKISH LEARNING CENTER

But yeah I did try to click to the home page link, and others, and all came up with the same image essentially saying IE is needed to view the content of the site.

Where would I find that menu to disguise Safari? My menu bar does not seem to have the "Develop" next to Window. When I have a Safari window open its just Bookmarks then Window. Maybe I could try that.

Safari > Preferences > Advanced> check box show develop in the menu bar

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.