HP LaserJet 1000 and OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
Is this printer just not compatible with OS X?
I am a recent switcher (last 6 months or so) and I just got my GF to switch, but now I can't get her printer to work with her new ibook.

All I can find from google are these links:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1000

http://foo2oak.rkkda.com/INSTALL

All sites seem to press towards compiling things and uploading firmware to the printer itself EVERYTIME you power it back up.

There has got to be a better way no?

Any help would be great,

Thank you

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
*bump*
I still haven't sorted this out for my GF and I'm feelin like a bit of a tool... anyone have any suggestions?

Reaction score
I have recently switch from Windows, so I'm no expert here. But I had the same problem just two hours ago, trying to print to a HP Laserjet 1015 (installed on a networked Windows computer). What I did was to select a Laserjet 6L as the printer, and it's working ok (at least with the pdf viewer in osx). Perhaps I am missing some features but at least I can print.

M

MacHeadCase

This is the list of Mac OS X 10.4: Included printer drivers and PostScript PPD files. As you can see, the HP 1000 is in that list.

From Apple's website:
Mac OS X 10.4 installs printer drivers and PostScript Printer Description files (PPDs) for many printers. Some printer files included with Mac OS X 10.4 might not be included with previous Mac OS X versions, and vice-versa. This article contains a list of all printer drivers and PPD files included with Mac OS X 10.4. Please note that some of these drivers were created by open-source projects (refer to the "Install Package" column in the list to find the driver source).

Tip: To ensure that you have the latest drivers for your printer, always check your printer manufacturer's website.

Mac OS X 10.4 includes printer drivers from the following manufacturers (to view the complete list of drivers from all printer manufacturers, please scroll down the window, or use your browser's Find feature to look for a specific name, such as "Olympus" or "Toshiba"...

Why the printer doesn't show up, I have no idea. Did you guys add the printer profile through Mac OS X's Printer Setup Utility?

Edited to add:

Oops! Sorry! My bad. The Business Inkjet 1000 is in that list, not the LaserJet 1000. I can only see the LaserJet 1010.

Reaction score
http://oem.zeno.com/public/?SDK/Default.htm

I am in a kind of loop now. I am so pleased that people try to help me, but the site links to the same adress as in my former question and I don't get there because the SERVER CAN'T BE FOUND. Is that only the matter on my machine??? Desperately needing my lovely printer!!!! Help.... Hetty :bone:

Reaction score
I have been looking forever to try and find a way to get my HP LaserJet 1000 printer to work with OS X. After a few days of searching I finally found a way to do it. Having gone through such a long process to get it to work and having a horribly hard time trying to find the files to do it, I decided to compile the instructions and necessary files into a .dmg so that others can use it. Thanks to foomatic, foo2zjs, and GhostScript for their work to make this happen!

The .dmg I created has four files in it 3 .dmgs, foomatic-rip, GhostScript, and the foo2zjs drivers. There is a readme file on how to do it, but I'll copy and paste it here too:

Instructions for installing HP Laserjet 1000 (and many others)

Tested on Mac OS X 10.5.8, with HP Laserjet 1000

1) Mount and install gplgs-8.64so-ub.dmg (GhostScript 8.64)
2) Mount and install foomatic-rip-4.0.2.211.dmg
3) Mount and install foo2zjs-1.1.2-ub.dmg
4) Navigate to foo2zjs-1.1.2-ub.dmg, helpers, then copy load_LaserJet_firmware_v4 to Desktop, or other convenient place, as you will have to run it everytime you reboot your computer. This only applys to GDI LaserJets like the LaserJet 1000, so you may not have to do this.*
5) Plug your printer into a USB Port
6) Go to System Preferences, Print & Fax, click the + (plus) sign in on the lower left side, make sure you are on the default tab, click your printer, then under Print Using click select driver to use, then type in your printer name (ex. HP LaserJet 1000) and select the proper driver. (Mine is HP LaserJet 1000 Foomatic/foo2zjs (recommended))
7) Run the load_LaserJet_firmware_v4 script, my printer makes a spooling up sound when it is run.
8) That's it! Print a test page to see if it works!

Credits go to the authors of GhostScript, Foomatic, and foo2zjs for their great work!

*When the script is run it checks for LaserJets 1000, 1005, 1018, and 1020 printers. If you have one of those, you will need to run this script at every reboot.

Downloaded .dmgs from:
foo2zjs: Download foo2zjs 1.1.2 - Open source printer driver for printers that use the Zenographics ZjStream wire protocol for their print data - Softpedia
Foomatic: OpenPrinting/MacOSX/foomatic - The Linux Foundation
GhostScript: OpenPrinting/MacOSX/foomatic - The Linux Foundation

In torrent form (so it won't die...):Mac OS foo2zjs Printer Drivers HP LaserJet 1000 series drivers : Software > Mac - Mininova

Reaction score
I have installed all of this, and it is showing up in my printers, but I can't actually get it to print.

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Thanks

@Nehalemi7: Thanks a bunch! You rock!

I have been searching for this driver for days until I get into this thread and your solution just works perfect.

@statscards: Have you load the load_LaserJet_firmware_v4 script each time before printing?

Reaction score
followed the steps in Nehalemi7's post and when I tried to add the printer it lists it as "no driver installed". It does search for the driver, but doesn't find it. I have run the terminal script. Any ideas??

Reaction score
Thank you for the help!

Nehameli7 - Thank you very much for your post!!! I looked all over the web, trying to be able to use my HP Laserjet 1000 with my brand new Macbook Air, but found no help until I found your post. I searched for up-to-date versions of the software you listed, installed it just as you listed, loaded the driver and printed! Since your post is over 2 years old, thought others might like to know that your method still works.

Reaction score
wow !

Nehameli7 - Thank you very much for your post!!! I looked all over the web, trying to be able to use my HP Laserjet 1000 with my brand new Macbook Air, but found no help until I found your post. I searched for up-to-date versions of the software you listed, installed it just as you listed, loaded the driver and printed! Since your post is over 2 years old, thought others might like to know that your method still works.

I can only confirm ! Unbelievable, but this way works :) And I was so close to sell my good old HP1000.... :) thx guys ! :)

Reaction score
I have been looking forever to try and find a way to get my HP LaserJet 1000 printer to work with OS X. After a few days of searching I finally found a way to do it. Having gone through such a long process to get it to work and having a horribly hard time trying to find the files to do it, I decided to compile the instructions and necessary files into a .dmg so that others can use it. Thanks to foomatic, foo2zjs, and GhostScript for their work to make this happen!

The .dmg I created has four files in it 3 .dmgs, foomatic-rip, GhostScript, and the foo2zjs drivers. There is a readme file on how to do it, but I'll copy and paste it here too:

Instructions for installing HP Laserjet 1000 (and many others)

Tested on Mac OS X 10.5.8, with HP Laserjet 1000

1) Mount and install gplgs-8.64so-ub.dmg (GhostScript 8.64)
2) Mount and install foomatic-rip-4.0.2.211.dmg
3) Mount and install foo2zjs-1.1.2-ub.dmg
4) Navigate to foo2zjs-1.1.2-ub.dmg, helpers, then copy load_LaserJet_firmware_v4 to Desktop, or other convenient place, as you will have to run it everytime you reboot your computer. This only applys to GDI LaserJets like the LaserJet 1000, so you may not have to do this.*
5) Plug your printer into a USB Port
6) Go to System Preferences, Print & Fax, click the + (plus) sign in on the lower left side, make sure you are on the default tab, click your printer, then under Print Using click select driver to use, then type in your printer name (ex. HP LaserJet 1000) and select the proper driver. (Mine is HP LaserJet 1000 Foomatic/foo2zjs (recommended))
7) Run the load_LaserJet_firmware_v4 script, my printer makes a spooling up sound when it is run.
8) That's it! Print a test page to see if it works!

Credits go to the authors of GhostScript, Foomatic, and foo2zjs for their great work!

*When the script is run it checks for LaserJets 1000, 1005, 1018, and 1020 printers. If you have one of those, you will need to run this script at every reboot.

Downloaded .dmgs from:
foo2zjs: Download foo2zjs 1.1.2 - Open source printer driver for printers that use the Zenographics ZjStream wire protocol for their print data - Softpedia
Foomatic: OpenPrinting/MacOSX/foomatic - The Linux Foundation
GhostScript: OpenPrinting/MacOSX/foomatic - The Linux Foundation

In torrent form (so it won't die...):Mac OS foo2zjs Printer Drivers HP LaserJet 1000 series drivers : Software > Mac - Mininova

I just registered to leave a comment about this method here. obviously this is an old thread, but someone might still be looking for a way to make their laserjet 1000 work with mac, so here is a solid bump and my own verification that this method works like a charm! just follow the instructions to the letter, and your laserjet 1000 will print! I'm running os x 10.8.5 by the way. just follow the links to find the correct dmg's and make sure you run the shell script described in the instructions from your desktop before printing, and it works flawlessly. Thank you for putting this together!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.