Disk Utility, Repair Disk issue! (scary)

Reaction score
Hello sorry, I'm kind of a mac noob and I somehow got into a kernel panic. First of all, I ran a hardware test and it seems to hardware errors were found. Other things i have tried include holding down the shift key, and the comand-alt-P-r thing. All don't get me past the "you need to restart your computer message" upon starting up.

So now I've put in the start up disk, and gone to disk utility in an attempt to solve my issue. I clicked repair disk, and so far the details are as follows:

Verify and Repair volume "'Mactintosh HD"
Volume repair complete.
Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.

What worries me is that "updating boot support partitions...as required", has been taking around 40 minutes. Additionally, instead of a typical linear progress bar, I have the whirly/stripy blue and white bar that resembles a horizontal barber shop pole. I'll try to attach a picture of it to make things clearer.

Is this any reason for concern? Should I stop the repair and try something else?
I have used quite a large amount of my computer's memory.

Additional info:
Computer
I am using a mac book, snow lepoard

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is it still running? It could be an issue with the hard drive and that is why it's taking this long. Keep it running and see what it says in the end.

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes, it's still running now. So despite the stripy bar, it eventually come to a close?
Thanks for answering by the way.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It should. Taking this long like I said makes me feel your Hard Drive has serious issues. Time will tell.

OP
H
Reaction score
Well, ultimately I got a message that said,"Disk Utility stopped repairing HD". Since I don't really have anything that I NEED or haven't backed up somewhere, I've erased everything. I'm currently reinstalling mac os x now. Thanks for your help though!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
do let us know how that goes and if your issues are solved. If not I would suspect the hard drive is dying.

OP
H
Reaction score
You are right. My installation failed, I'm going to go back to the Apple Shop tomorrow. Any ideas what might have caused this?
The laptop is less than 6 months old, and I think I treated it pretty well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.