Problems using Macbook Pro without Battery

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm on my MacBook Pro, and I'm using 2-3 cycles per day, so I'm looking at how to reduce that. I know from PC use that keeping the plug in at the same time as the battery reduces its life - as an aside I'm wondering if anybody knows any documentation that says Macs don't do that - in any case I'm thinking above using my MBP plugged in without the battery, but it isn't working for me.

When I take out the battery and try and turn it on (power cord only), it won't power on. When I power it on with the battery, then take out the battery, with the power cord in, the screen won't come on, and the white light on the button to lift the monitor flashes.

I am using a Macbook Pro 4,1, on Leopard 10.5.8

I have tried resetting the SMC as instructed from this article (Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)), and it didn't solve the problem. I'm aware of the decrease in processing power without the battery, I'm willing to make that sacrifice to save the battery life.

What should I do to be able to use the computer without the battery?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi,

I'm on my MacBook Pro, and I'm using 2-3 cycles per day, so I'm looking at how to reduce that. I know from PC use that keeping the plug in at the same time as the battery reduces its life - as an aside I'm wondering if anybody knows any documentation that says Macs don't do that - in any case I'm thinking above using my MBP plugged in without the battery, but it isn't working for me.

I've answered this question what seems like about 100x...debunking the "that keeping the plug in at the same time as the battery reduces its life" theory. Try a site search for more details.

It's not about it being a problem running the computer with the battery installed & the computer plugged in...it's about performing some simple battery maintenance. Works the same way on Windows laptops as well.

There's just too many folks out there passing around inaccurate info...or just don't know what they're talking about! It's like saying...if enough people keep writing on the internet that 2+2=5...eventually many folks who don't know any better will start believing it...when in reality many of us (hopefully most);) know that 2+2=4!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I've answered this question what seems like about 100x...debunking the "that keeping the plug in at the same time as the battery reduces its life" theory. Try a site search for more details

- Nick

Lissen to the man. He speaketh the truth.

If you are at a desk, leave the laptop plugged in. My Air (and my previous MPro) stay plugged up and charging 24/7, unless I am on the road. I sold my MacBook Pro after a year of use and the battery showed 94 percent capacity and had been plugged in 99% of its life.

Once a month or so, I run the battery maintenance as recommended, or if I am on the road I just use it till it dies before recharging - same thing.

Cycles are what kills batteries, not a trickle charge from a smart charger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
I have to agree with most of the above, except for the cycles killing the battery. A battery can die at 50 cycles, 300 cycles, or even 1000 cycles. The better you treat your battery the longer it will last (in cycles). And yes I have seen a good battery over 1000 cycles, PowerBook G4; 1240 cycles and ran for 1.5-2.5 hours.

Here is what I have been teaching in battery care, this is my opinion based on my experience as a laptop technician, other opinions my differ. The best way to cycle the battery is to Fully charge the battery (100%) then drain the battery very low, I usually plug mine in when it says I am running on reserve battery. Never let you battery sit un used for long periods of time (months/years). I would run it on battery at least one cycle every 2 weeks at a minimum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I have to agree with most of the above, except for the cycles killing the battery. A battery can die at 50 cycles, 300 cycles, or even 1000 cycles. The better you treat your battery the longer it will last (in cycles). And yes I have seen a good battery over 1000 cycles, PowerBook G4; 1240 cycles and ran for 1.5-2.5 hours.

Here is what I have been teaching in battery care, this is my opinion based on my experience as a laptop technician, other opinions my differ. The best way to cycle the battery is to Fully charge the battery (100%) then drain the battery very low, I usually plug mine in when it says I am running on reserve battery. Never let you battery sit un used for long periods of time (months/years). I would run it on battery at least one cycle every 2 weeks at a minimum.

What you have recommended is close to what Apples suggests you do.

Of course a battery can die at 50 cycles. A brand new hard drive can die in the first ten minutes of use. With a non-defective or degraded battery today you should get a nominal 1000 cycles, treated properly. So if your laptop gets a hard use of two complete cycles a day, it will probably have the capacity degraded below practical usage in just over a year. Plugged in all the time the machine is on, and properly cycled at appropriate intervals, it will probably outlast the machine.

Just be glad we have moved past the early NiCad technology. Those battery packs had to be babied, gently talked to and put to bed at night by a nanny. Or you might be replacing it in a month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
I have not heard the life of Li-polymer batteries (which is really what they are not Li-ion like printed on it) in cycles, I have heard if treated well they can last 7 years. Where Li-ion can last 1000 cycles, most companies recommend replacing at about 300 cycles, they feel they become unsafe. I know that dell batteries actually have a counter in them that at 300 something cycles the battery shuts off and just blinks saying it has malfunctioned

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.