Locked out of Lion!

Reaction score
I have a nice new iMac with 256MB SSD and 1TB HDD. Unfortuntely, as supplied, Apple had set up my home folder on the SSD. Rather than have this filled up with photos and other content, I wanted to have apps load to SSD and use the HDD for files. No problems, I thought, I'll just go to advanced settings and move the location of my home folder to the HDD, which I did with no warnings or error messages coming up.

OK, so the experienced among you will already see that I'm an ex-PC newbie and have made a fundamental error, because the next time I tried to log in (and everytime since) I get an error message telling my I can't log in......

Please tell me there is an easy remedy!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a nice new iMac with 256MB SSD and 1TB HDD. Unfortuntely, as supplied, Apple had set up my home folder on the SSD. Rather than have this filled up with photos and other content, I wanted to have apps load to SSD and use the HDD for files. No problems, I thought, I'll just go to advanced settings and move the location of my home folder to the HDD, which I did with no warnings or error messages coming up.

OK, so the experienced among you will already see that I'm an ex-PC newbie and have made a fundamental error, because the next time I tried to log in (and everytime since) I get an error message telling my I can't log in......

Please tell me there is an easy remedy!

The easy remedy is to move your "home" folder back to where it came from.;) You just cannot move folders around like that "willy-nilly".

What you need to do is...boot the computer from an external hard drive (with 10.7 Lion installed on it)...or boot the computer from a Lion boot disk (CD/DVD) or "Lion" USB stick (I'm not exactly sure what you have at your disposal).

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank for the advice and I just wish I could get past the log-in screen to follow it. Unfortunately, what I have at my disposal is what comes with a new buy - zip! The good news is that I was still just setting up the iMac, so as long as I can re-use my Photoshop CS5 instal licence for a second time on the same hardware, I can start afresh. With Windows there are ways to get past the log-in screen to resolve such things - I assume there must be something similar in OS X?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thank for the advice and I just wish I could get past the log-in screen to follow it. Unfortunately, what I have at my disposal is what comes with a new buy - zip! The good news is that I was still just setting up the iMac, so as long as I can re-use my Photoshop CS5 instal licence for a second time on the same hardware, I can start afresh. With Windows there are ways to get past the log-in screen to resolve such things - I assume there must be something similar in OS X?

Try this? Do Command R during boot up to access the recovery partition. Hopefully from there you can get sorted out. Post back and let us know how it goes.
Apple - OS X Lion Recovery - Introducing Lion Recovery

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.