Apple Mail stops receiving new emails (via IMAP)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 2.1ghz, 4gb ram, 250gb hd
Hey everyone,

First off, the stats. I'm on OS X 10.6.8, running mail 4.5.

I have multiple accounts in Mail. Two gmail accounts, which are POP, and an AOL account, which is IMAP.

Multiple times a day, the AOL account will stop receiving mail. If I just restart mail, it downloads what's missing. Usually, once it stops receiving, I get nothing until I restart, but occasionally a piece or two might still come through randomly.

What usually ends up happening, is I get the notification on my iphone for new mail, and that lets me know it's time to restart it... Gets annoying sometimes when I'm waiting for something time sensitive, as my iPhone only updates it every 10 minutes.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Reaction score
Rig: This may or may not help, but I had a similar problem w/ Mail until I downloaded the latest combo update for 10.6; don't recall if it was past 10.6.8 or not.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, but i'm not sure what you mean by combo update. I've kept both Mail and OS X up to date, and this problem has lasted me a while, through multiple versions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Probably a stupid question, but; what interval have you set mail to check for new mail?

I used to think mine was knacked, until I told it to retrieve every minute.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, it's definitely set to every minute.

C

chas_m

Two things:

1. Why on earth haven't you converted those Google accounts to IMAP?

2. When in Mail, you can open Mail's Activity Window using command-0. This might give you some insight into what's going on with the the AOL account (but I suspect the problem is on their end).

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nothing noteworthy has come up on the activity monitor. Anything that comes up on it is gone in a flash, but no errors have popped up.

And the problem continues.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thought I'd resurrect this, as I still have this problem. Anybody else have any ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.