Upgraded to SSD, install bootcamp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", 2.93 GHz i7, 4GB ram, ATI Radeon 5750 1GB, 1TB HDD
So I upgraded my mid 2010 iMac with a 256 GB SSD, the 830 series from Samsung.

I want a fresh update from you regarding bootcamp on SSD's. What do you think of creating a partition of 50 GB for bootcamp?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How large you create the Boot Camp partition is up to you. It depends of course on how much you have to install in Windows. A normal installation of Windows 7 x 64 bit takes up around 15 to 18 GB according to which version you have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Give them 125GB each or so after formatting, and if you are very, very careful the SSD will suffice. Tried this myself but soon ran out of Mac OS X space, so invested in a Velociraptor as a backup and Bootcamp drive.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How about giving 50GB to bootcamp and using that partition to about 90%? Will that effect SSD performance? It shouldn't, right? Since the disk itself isn't used to 90%, but the partition is.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Give them 125GB each or so after formatting, and if you are very, very careful the SSD will suffice. Tried this myself but soon ran out of Mac OS X space, so invested in a Velociraptor as a backup and Bootcamp drive.

Are you still using the SSD as the OSX boot drive? If so, are you able to boot windows off the rapter? I was under the impression that both the OSX and the bootcamp partition had to be on the same drive.

I have to use bootcamp for a couple of situations, but I don't want to sacrifice the SSD for Windows. I want OSX to get to hog the SSD. However, I figured I would have no choice if bootcamp had to be on the same drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I run Lion off an OWC SSD, and a Lion backup and Windows 7 Ultimate off the Velociraptor 600GB divided 50% for each. Believe it is essential to have a Lion backup and the joy of a Mac Pro is with four HDD bays one does not need to fiddle with slow old externals. Alas iMacs do not have this option so you are going to have to install Windows on the Mac OS X drive. Windows is designed not to install on an external drive as an anti-piracy measure.

Think your best plan if not 50% each, then say 50GB for Windows and 200GB for Lion.

Reaction score
Alas iMacs do not have this option so you are going to have to install Windows on the Mac OS X drive. Windows is designed not to install on an external drive as an anti-piracy measure.

Sorry, I should have clarified... I'm talking about two internal drives. A 256gb SSD and a 2tb 7200 rpt drive. I was asking if OSX could have the whole SSD to itself, and Windows/bootcamp could be booted off the 2tb internal drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes OS X on the SSD, and backed up OS X and Bootcamp on the 2TB drive.

Was suggesting you need a backed up version of OS X. Personally use registered SuperDuper and Smart Backup to do a weekly backup from the SSD to the Velociraptor. As a suggestion use Windows 7 64bit with Bootcamp.

Reaction score
Yes OS X on the SSD, and backed up OS X and Bootcamp on the 2TB drive.

Was suggesting you need a backed up version of OS X. Personally use registered SuperDuper and Smart Backup to do a weekly backup from the SSD to the Velociraptor. As a suggestion use Windows 7 64bit with Bootcamp.

How can you have two boot drives? Is there a way to specify which drive to boot from, or does bootcamp handle that? Forgive my ignorance... I've set up dual boot systems before, just never with bootcamp in the Mac world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Simple.

Go into System Preferences > System > Startup Disk and select the drive you wish to boot from. For an even better option look at a little utility called Bootchamp. Sits in the Menu bar and boots directly into Windows without using the Startup Disk option. When finished in Windows choose 'Restart' and comes back into Lion.

Reaction score
Simple.

Go into System Preferences > System > Startup Disk and select the drive you wish to boot from. For an even better option look at a little utility called Bootchamp. Sits in the Menu bar and boots directly into Windows without using the Startup Disk option. When finished in Windows choose 'Restart' and comes back into Lion.

Cool!. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My pleasure.

Keep popping back eh? Lots to pick up from these forums Lastmboy.

Reaction score
My pleasure.

Keep popping back eh? Lots to pick up from these forums Lastmboy.

Yup. I'm in here every day. One of the best places to learn, as the issues discussed are "real world issues" from real world people.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lol don't let OWC (Other World Computers) hear you say that!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.