White Screen/No HDDs when Installing Windows 7

Reaction score
My attempts to install Windows 7 have been failures so far.

When I attempt to install Windows 7 through the BootCamp assistant, it partitions the drive successfully, and automatically reboots, but once rebooted it loads into the Mac grey screen, then there's this slight change in the border and the color into white. I believe that this is Windows 7 trying to start, but it's unsuccessful. I have attempted it this way at least 3 times now, to no avail.

When I boot using the Option key, I have a choice to pick the Windows 7 disc as a startup drive. If I do, it takes me into the install successfully, but when I get to drive select, there's no drives for me to install it on.

What am I doing wrong, and how do I fix it?

Some info about my rig is currently unavailable, because I don't know the precise year or specs, and its a challenge to get it to properly boot into Mac for some reason. (It's an old Mac Pro, I believe a 2008 model. I know that it has dual Quad-Core Xeons and 10 GB RAM, as well as a GT8800.)

The Windows install disc is a downloaded ISO file burned onto the disc. It may or may not be the problem, I couldn't really say.

Any ideas as to how to fix this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like the disk may not be burned correctly. I'm assuming the download you're referring to is from the MS on line store. That download is in the form of an executable which has to be run on a PC before it converts to an ISO. Then the ISO is burned to disk. Is that the procedure you followed? If not, where did the ISO come from?

OP
Z
Reaction score
I downloaded a raw .iso file, not an .exe. What should the .iso contain, just incase that's what I'm doing wrong?

Also, I just took the .iso and burned it to a disk, but I'd heard I needed to go at 4x for some reason, I presume damage to disc. Is that true?

EDIT:
There is a setup.exe file on the .iso, but I presumed it was for setting up Windows 7. Am I right or wrong?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you downloaded an ISO file from MS, it should be able to be burned directly to a DVD as it contains both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 7. Once burned, the ISO will create a bootable DVD.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I did burn it to a dvd, and it is somehow bootable.

When Bootcamp automatically restarts, and tries to load windows, it fails. It goes past the grey screen, and into what seems like a white screen, though I feel that it's from the W7 boot disk, as it seems pixel-y in the way that W7 would look when installing.

However, it just freezes on the white, so I end up restarting it. If I do nothing, it fails to properly load a boot disk and will continually attempt to load Lion, fail, and say there's no bootable drive. It repeats this seemingly endlessly.

If I hold option, I can properly boot into Mac Lion, the Install disk for Snow Leopard, my Lion Recovery HD, and my W7 install disk. I attempt the W7 install disk, and it actually works, taking me through the setup, until I am given the choice for an install drive. No drives show, so I am forced to go back into Mac OSX.

I've tried partitioning/unpartitioning 3 times now, with no avail on any of them, and it's rather bothering me.

Just out of curiosity, I don't believe this would work, but a PRAM/NVRAM reset... Would that affect it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think a PRAM reset is going to matter but it won't hurt to try it. It almost seems like you lack drivers (specifically video) for the Mac Pro in order to complete the install. I can't be sure though as I would have thought that drivers for a 2008 Mac Pro would be included.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Its using an 8800GT w/ 512mbVRAM if it makes a difference. (That may or may not be correct, I haven't bothered it all day out of irritation.)

But when it attempts to load through Bootcamp, that's when it seems like it loads into something, but stays at a white screen, and I'm also still able to load the installer from it's disk directly. It seems like there's something wrong with bootcamp, and it just doesn't like the disc, or something.

Reaction score
I'm having this exact same problem with my 3,1 Mac Pro w/ ATI Radeon HD 2600. Stuck on a white screen over and over again after proceeding from the Boot Camp "Install" button. It goes to a white screen even if I try to go straight to the Windows 7 install disk after an "Alt" restart.
Did you ever find a solution? You may be on to something with the video drivers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.