Another "Open Appleworks files" post

Reaction score
OK, so shoot me. I did some searching here, and the posts seem old. I just got a new iMac w/ Lion and have to open, recreate, and save in a modern format a bunch of AW data bases and drawings. I saw a procedure on Neowiki or something for the db files, but it had more than one step so it confused me. :'( SFP&C! What is there that is relatively cheap to open these files? I am pretty familiar w/ Filemaker (years ago) and suspect it would do the db's, but I don't want to buy the mutha. Any recommendations? BTW: I just read another post and am also curious what "I&A" stand for: ignorant and arrogant? impulsive and acclaimed? inch and angstrom?

OP
J
Reaction score
John: Bento should do the data bases pretty well (it did for me, though there was a little confusion in some records, and one file is toast; Bento will NOT recognize individual records.) Be sure to RTFM before you import the old data bases (you'll need to save them as ASCII, add ".tab", etc). As for the drawings, as a last resort redraw them in CadIntosh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
OP
J
Reaction score
Tech: Thanks. I already tried Easy w/ various saved formats of AW, then I read the manual: "Versions 4 and newer of EazyDraw do not support opening these classic file formats." The "these" includes Appleworks. Maybe an older version is available, and then v4 of Easy will open that. Will look around.

C

chas_m

1. You'll need to locate a machine that can still run AppleWorks and have the owner convert the files for you into something standard (WP into Word or RTF format, spreadsheet into Excel format, etc).

2. I&A means whatever you think it means. I made up the term and have a VERY definite idea of what it means in the context of that discussion, but all I'm gonna say is that you are on the right track. :)

OP
J
Reaction score
1. You'll need to locate a machine that can still run AppleWorks and have the owner convert the files for you into something standard (WP into Word or RTF format, spreadsheet into Excel format, etc).

2. I&A means whatever you think it means. I made up the term and have a VERY definite idea of what it means in the context of that discussion, but all I'm gonna say is that you are on the right track. :)
(1) Iworks took care of the WP and SS. Bento did most of the DB files; one file just won't work for some reason. Bento refuses to recognize individual records in it, and takes entries sort of randomly and defines them as a new record. Dunno. Maybe I used the TAB key whilst entering data, and that is confusing it? (2) I just drew up my most important drawing file in Cadintosh, so I'm OK there for now. It would be nice to find a drawing program that would open a few others, though. That said, I can Cadintosh them, too, likely faster than search and destroy (my brain) trying to find software. Sometimes sucking up and doing the leg work all over again is better than struggling w/ software issues. (3) I&A... ha ha. Funny individual. At least no one here (as little as I have read) gets rude and obnoxious w/ potty words and insults. Everyone has their own opinions and frustrations w/ this computer chit. Thanks for the ideas, though. john, who is only I&A now and then....:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.