Which OS is best for me?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro 4,1 that's currently running 10.5.8..

It's got a 2.4gHz Intel Core 2 Duo, and 4GB 667MHz ram.

I like the Spaces feature a lot, as well as the native actions..

I am interested in getting right click..

I often have TONS of windows open at once. Lots of browser tabs/windows, a few file explorers, maybe one or two programs like Photoshop or Word.

That basically describes my computing habits.. I definitely want to keep native gesture compatibility and Spaces/equivalent of Spaces.. I don't have any special Mac programs, the Mac programs I do have I've already checked to be compatible with any OS.

My question is should I stay with 10.5.8, Upgrade to Snow Leopard, or upgrade to Lion, to meet my needs, respective to the specs of the computer?

Thank you

Reaction score
I'd go with Snow Leopard and not Lion because Lion doesnt really have spaces anymore and you said you use it a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
OP
T
Reaction score
Snow Leopard

I'd go with Snow Leopard and not Lion because Lion doesnt really have spaces anymore and you said you use it a lot.

Thank you for your quick responses!

I had the chance a few weeks ago to check out Lion at the Apple Store, and I know there's a multiple desktops feature there that uses native gestures, which seems to me (minus the gestures), to be more or less what Spaces is. my worries though are twofold, that 1) the gestures won't be supported, and 2) that Lion will be too resource-intensive for my Macbook.

Would either of those situations be true?

Reaction score
Thank you for your quick responses!

I had the chance a few weeks ago to check out Lion at the Apple Store, and I know there's a multiple desktops feature there that uses native gestures, which seems to me (minus the gestures), to be more or less what Spaces is. my worries though are twofold, that 1) the gestures won't be supported, and 2) that Lion will be too resource-intensive for my Macbook.

Would either of those situations be true?

well I just installed Lion on a macbook (the white ones) with 2 Gigs of ram and it ran ok on a clean install with nothing but office installed, but I did notice the gestures didnt work like they do on my 2011 MBP I think its due to the older trackpad not registering all the fingers or something the options under system preferences are different to mine.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Because of your comments on the Gestures, I would upgrade to SL. SL is a way leaner and faster OS than Leopard is, but Spaces will work the way you are used to.

If you need iCloud though, you need Lion, if not, just go with SL.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.