• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Powerbooks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am looking into buy a new Powerbook soon. Are there any rumored major upgrades that I should wait for? Processors, Screens, etc.

I am guessing that they will release something new after the holidays... that usually happens for me. I buy a brand new product in December and the second week of January it is upgraded and I get screwed with the older product.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook Intel 2GHZ CD, 2GB RAM
Im not sure if your aware of this but they just upgraded the PowerBooks a few weeks ago.

M

menace3054

dmachine said:
Im not sure if your aware of this but they just upgraded the PowerBooks a few weeks ago.

and if i had to bet, its most likely the last upgrade until the intel ones..

OP
nutz46
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have there been any clues as to when they will release the Intel Powerbooks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Some time around June.

J

justinpfarrell

Get one of the current ones. It is most likely that the 1st generation Powerbooks from intel and apple will have plenty of bugs. Most 1st gen products always do. Get one that has been perfected over the years. It wont give you any problems, and is a sexy beast!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
justinpfarrell said:
Get one of the current ones. It is most likely that the 1st generation Powerbooks from intel and apple will have plenty of bugs. Most 1st gen products always do. Get one that has been perfected over the years. It wont give you any problems, and is a sexy beast!

Wise words right there, even apple makes mistakes *shock horror*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
justinpfarrell said:
and is a sexy beast!

HA HA!!!! Right on! You should def get one of the current PowerBooks I ordered on the day that the new ones came out and it's still not come!!!!! :mad:

Yeah I agree with everyone the 1st Gen product is never great. I think that we'll be waiting for a while yet to see a good reliable Intel model.

S

sursuciofla

The lines before the transition will more than likely be better than the Intel lines that come out. Like it was pointed out, the 1st of anything comes laddened with plenty of bugs. I will be buying the "older" version of whatever I get as soon as the Intel's do come out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Benjamindaines said:
Some time around June.

Actually, that was for the first MacTel MACHINES. No one said anything about them being PBs, and most people have said it will probably be the consumer boxes that switch first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook - 15" (last ppc), iMac 20" w/ intel, iPod 5G
justinpfarrell said:

I agree. I just bought one of the new PB 15' and it is the sexiest thing I've ever seen.

Oh, and it's fast too :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook
Anyone know if they will ever be putting a pcmcia slot on the 12" powerbooks?? i want to get one but that means i will still have to keep around my 15" for the slot so that i can use verizon's high speed internet i use from time to time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
They will probably never put PCMCIA slots on the 12" Powerbook, its just too cramped in there already to fit it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Meyvn said:
Actually, that was for the first MacTel MACHINES. No one said anything about them being PBs, and most people have said it will probably be the consumer boxes that switch first.

I thought the whole reason of switching to Intel was becuase of the fact that they couldn't make G5's small enough and people wanted/needed more power from their laptops and Intel makes a good small laptop processor? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook
not sure why there switching, but they should.. i know of a sony 10" with pcmcia slot in it, and if apple can't get it in a 12" theres something wrong major.

L

lil

A mobile G5 CPU now exists in 1.2-1.6GHz forms.

However I did hear something that it performs *slower* than the G4 at equivalent speeds ie: 1.2GHz G5 vs. 1.2GHz G4.

Cannot verify that but yes - the lack of mobile roadmap for the PowerPC series was one big deciding factor I am sure.

Vicky

L

lil

mdavis71 said:
not sure why there switching, but they should.. i know of a sony 10" with pcmcia slot in it, and if apple can't get it in a 12" theres something wrong major.

You have seen the inside of the 12" PowerBook, right?

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
DCraver said:
I thought the whole reason of switching to Intel was becuase of the fact that they couldn't make G5's small enough and people wanted/needed more power from their laptops and Intel makes a good small laptop processor? Correct me if I'm wrong.

No, you're absolutely right, but all predictions thus far have pointed to iBooks and Mac minis switching first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.