Messed up Password, now what's my KeyChain Password?

Reaction score
Was going to change my login/account password on my imac to a different one today, thing I accidentally hit "ok" when I didn't mean to at the moment, so now I don't think I even have a password for the "old password" so I can't crate a new one at all. When I just hit "ok" now on the password change screen these two notifications come up now.

1. "You did not enter a password for this user account. Are you sure you want to do this?"

"Because you have not entered a password for this user account, anyone can log in to your computer."

2. "The password for your “login” keychain will be changed to your new password."
"If your “login” keychain is locked, you need to enter your current “login” keychain password before your password is changed."

So what do I do? What's my "login" Keychain? I don't want to log-off or turn off my computer till this is fixed, since I don't know what my password or Keychain pass word is now. HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It sounds to me like you don't have a password. At all. In other words, don't enter anything into the password field when prompted. Just hit the RETURN key, click OK, or whatever the prompt is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.