MacBook pro 17 display problems

Reaction score
Hi i am new hear, hear is the problem I am haveing, I was given a older mbp 17 model 1212 I think, I was told it needed a logic board, so I plugged it in and pushed the power button and I hear the hard drive running so I plugged an external monitor in and the unit works?? So hear is my question first is there a light in the power button? It does not light, and the display is not cracked so could it be the display inverter or the display itself? And last question isn't the apple logo on the lid backlit?? Theat does not work? Any help will be great thanks in advance

Ray

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The logic board is OK if an attached external monitor works. The problem could be a bad inverter, bad backlight, bad or loose video cable, or other cables to the LCD. Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look over the take apart instructions for your model MBP. You may be able to repair it yourself.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi thanks for the reply, I was just looking at it again and I had a flashlight in my hand and when I had it on the screen I could see the display but it's so dark you can not see it with out the flashlight pointed at the screen , could it be the backlight???

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yep, that's the symptom of the backlight not working. However, it could either be the backlight itself or the inverter which supplies power to the backlight.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.