Old software won't work on new MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm not sure I understand the problem here. I had a older iMac and had decided to upgrade to Snow Leopard. All my software still worked and all was smooth until my hard drive died and I was reverted back to the old OS because it was all I had backed up on my external drive.

This past weekend, I went out and purchased a new MacBook Pro,

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B26
SMC Version (system): 1.69f3
Serial Number (system): C02GTAMRDV7L
Hardware UUID: 0029B29D-9753-5BB1-9327-B0ABCA76FB31
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Now none of the old programs I had will install on this new computer. The guys at the Mac store told me would would not be a problem when I asked if I would be able to use my old version of Photoshop CS2. Well that didn't turn out and now I find I am having the same problem with other software. Mainly, Officemac as that is what I have used in the past 6 years for making invoices for my work.

All of these programs give a message error telling me the "You can't use these programs because PowerPC applications are no longer supported." I didn't have a PowerPC machine previously, I had one of the first Dual core intel machines.

Can anyone explain? I was also unable to use Migration asst when setting up. I assume this was because I was trying to pull it from an external hard drive (MyBook), but not sure.

Thank you for any help,
Jody

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If its a new mac then it has OSX Lion installed.

Lion no longer supports applications written solely for the old PowerPC macs, they were previously allowed to run with an emulation layer, but that has now been dropped with Lion.

You will either have to upgrade Office and photoshop or look at alternative programs, the people here will be able to help with alternatives depending on your needs for Office and Photoshop type tasks

Tell us exactly what you use Photoshop and office for?

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I mostly just use Photoshop for fixing up scanned negatives for large format digital printing. I am a 4x5 film shooter, so most of my work is done in a darkroom, but on occasion, when a larger print is needed, I need to scan and digitally try to match my normal prints.

My bigger upset is the invoices and the $400 I spent on Rosetta Stone that no longer seems to work either. That is upsetting to a point I can not explain.

OP
J
Reaction score
If its a new mac then it has OSX Lion installed.

Lion no longer supports applications written solely for the old PowerPC macs,

Am I misunderstanding, BTW? I did not think the iMac w/ dual core intels were considered "PowerPC".

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Snow Leopard and Leopard had Rosetta which ran Power PC Apps on Intel Macs. Progress has to be made and with the move to a true 64-Bit OS that Lion is, it no longer supports Rosetta and thus no Power PC apps will run.

The Power Pc has been dead for years now and Apple is moving forward. Not sure what to tell you. You can probably get an update for Rosetta Stone, but Photoshop that will run on Lion will cost you a lot.

Sorry

Reaction score
big alsta

having similar problems, just bought a 2011 macbook pro. Can't install hardware ( Mackie 400f sound mixer) it says power pc apps are no longer supported. grrrrrrrrr any advice would be greatly appreciated.

C

chas_m

Here's the basic problem: you aren't updating your software often enough.

You don't have to update it every time Adobe or MS tell you there's a new version available, but neither can you ignore updates for years on end. If nothing else, you open yourself up to serious security problems with that approach. Particularly when Apple makes NO SECRET of the fact that they are deprecating old technologies that your old programs are relying on.

The solution is pretty easy: upgrade your Photoshop. Upgrade your Office. Contact Rosetta Stone and they will send you the right version for your newer machine.

Because you waited so very long, some of these upgrades will be pricey. They would have been less pricey overall if you had, for example, upgraded every OTHER release of Adobe Photoshop and thus kept up-to-date ... if fact CS3 still works on Lion, and Microsoft Office 2008 is still supported under Lion.

As a general rule of thumb, new OS version plus very old software = bad mix.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
having similar problems, just bought a 2011 macbook pro. Can't install hardware ( Mackie 400f sound mixer) it says power pc apps are no longer supported. grrrrrrrrr any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The best advice we can give you is to contact the Mackie folks and ask if they have updated drivers - software that will work with Lion. The older software that came with the Mackie is out of date since it is comprised of PPC code. PPC code is no longer supported by Apple on its newest operating system, Lion.

And before you ask.... you can not downgrade your new MBP to run any other version of OS X. It will only run Lion or later versions of OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.