Questions about MacBook Air :)

Reaction score
So I'm a UNI student looking for something to take to and from, light and portable, and nothing compares to an Air at the moment in the same price range. Especially second hand!

So I'm looking at purchasing an 11.6" 2011 model with the 64GB SSD and i5 or a 13.3" 2010 with 128GB SSD both for about the same $$.

I wanted to ask the Apple store a few questions but they are closed so I turn to you :)

1. If I want to install something by DVD how might I go about that?
2. If I buy second hand whats the deal with Applecare? Does it roll over?
3. If I find the SSD ageing or not enough is it possible to upgrade it? Or does the cost of getting them to do that exceed the cost of the machine?
4. If the battery life is diminished, is it possible for them to replace it?

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first post :)

I'm usually a PC guy but my Dad loves his MacBook pros and all his other apple gear and I think I'll give an apple laptop a shot, everything else I have of theirs is nice :)

Thanks in advance for any help :D

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You would need an external USB Superdrive for your MBA to install software by DVD.

SSD can be upgraded but it cost as much as the MBA itself so not worth it. >_>"

OP
O
Reaction score
Okay awsome thanks :)

I found out its $180 AUD to get the battery replaced out of warranty so that one is answered :)

Would the 11.6" be too small for typing on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
If they are both the same price, get the 13inch. If your just doing school work, the faster processor won't make that much difference. The problem I see with the 11 in model you are looking at, is that you will pretty much have to use it with an external drive for storing anything since the 64GB of drive space will be taken up by the OS and applications you put on it. I have the 13 in (2011 model, 128GB), and it is half full. Just a consideration

rez

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook 2.26GHZ 4GB RAM 250GB HDD 64GB SSD
Just to add, the USB superdrive isn't essential as you could use the Disc Sharing feature. You do need another Mac in order to do this (see more information here: How to Enable Disc Sharing in Lion - Lion, Mac, Tips, can also be done in snow leopard) but it could save you the cost of buying a USB superdrive to install 1 or 2 dvd's.

However if you dont have another macbook handy / will be needing the Superdrive a lot, then the best bet is to buy one as the previous poster suggested

rez

Reaction score
You can use any USB DVD drive. I have used a Samsung, for example.

OWC (macsales.com) have SSD upgrades for the Macbook Air.

The 11" is also available with 256GB SSD and 4GB RAM, but is more portable than the 13", but has less pixels, so you won't see as many lines of text.

Edited by author: Removed incorrect statement about adding RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
You can use any USB DVD drive. I have used a Samsung, for example.

OWC (macsales.com) have SSD upgrades as well as RAM upgrades for the Macbook Air.

The 11" is also available with 256GB SSD and 4GB RAM, but is more portable than the 13", but has less pixels, so you won't see as many lines of text.

Please note the air RAM cannot be upgraded.

Reaction score
Thanks for correcting my mistake. I've edited my original post to avoid anyone being misled.

Have a great day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.