PLZ HELP spilled lemon tea on my macbook pro

Reaction score
so i spilled lemon tea on my macbook pro it is still under warranty or so it was i dried of any residue and left it in a bag of rice for two days my hard drive doesnt work but i was able to recover my data but my computer wont turn on or make a sound or charge not even the battery status. I really can't afford a new laptop and was wondering what can i do to save this one and how much will it cost..:'(

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks but I did that I turned it upside down opened the cover and stuffed it in a bag of rice for 1 1/2 days and idk what's wrong it wasn't a lot that spilled inside so I dont understand what's wrong I thought it suppose to still light up with logic board issues

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks but I did that I turned it upside down opened the cover and stuffed it in a bag of rice for 1 1/2 days and idk what's wrong it wasn't a lot that spilled inside so I dont understand what's wrong I thought it suppose to still light up with logic board issues

I think you may be missing the point. Liquid spills are a crap shoot. Sometimes you can recover using those techniques, many times you can't. There is no fool proof method to recover a system (any system) from a spill. There are general guidelines that can help, but once that liquid comes in contact with the machine, it's anyone's guess what components it hit and how bad the damage is.

I will say that a day and a half of drying is not nearly long enough. 72 hours at a MINIMUM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
One add-on that every MacBook (or PC laptop, for that matter) needs to have is about a two foot stick beside the keyboard. Anybody who comes near with a drink, gets wacked on the hand that isn't holding the cup.

That is only a partial exaggeration. In my frequent use of Internet coffee shops, I use my own spill proof cup with a crew on lid.

In an earlier career of fixing all kinds of IT equipment, from keypunches to PCs, this is my experience...

Water, black coffee and non-sweet tea are the best, to use the word 'best in a backward meaning. They aren't conductive to any extent, so assuming that they don't literally soak some critical open component, no damage will probably be done. Just set the machine in front a a fan for a day or so and it will probably still work. As cwa107 said, it is a crap shoot.

Sweet coffee and tea have have the same effect and probably won't blow electronics. But, and it is a large butt, the sugar can absolutely ruin a keyboard. By ruin, I don't mean destroy, but it will stay tacky from humidity to the end of time and you will have keys that are constantly sticking. And since sugar is not dissolvable by any usually available non water based solvent, you can't get it out. A very few times, I have had success in immersing(!!) the whole keyboard in clean water and rinsing, followed by a two day drying period. This option is obviously not available for your laptop.

Soft drinks are the worst. Not only do you have the sugar problem squared, but the phosphoric acid and other highly dangerous junk in the drinks not only short out pins and lands on the boards, but continue to corrode them over time. (In the interest of full disclosure, I am addicted to soft drinks like every one else. Just not near my immaculate Air.)

I can't remember ever successfully recovering a coke soaked keyboard.

OP
K
Reaction score
How can I tell if my top case is the issue since it fell on my keyboard I shell out some cash for a replacement top case but I don't want to waste my time if the logic board is fried is there a way I can tell by looking at the logic board

OP
K
Reaction score
I really appreciate everyone's help it's been a really crazy week with finals and no computer

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
How can I tell if my top case is the issue since it fell on my keyboard I shell out some cash for a replacement top case but I don't want to waste my time if the logic board is fried is there a way I can tell by looking at the logic board

I think it's pretty safe to say that if the machine doesn't power on under any circumstance, the logic board is hosed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.