proud mac owner

F

faboloso112

hey guys
i just bought a old mac g3 for about a hundred bucks. im just trying to expand my understanding of OSX and all that and this seems like a pretty friendly forums so i figured why not join up.
by the way, since i am COMPLETELY new to macs, expect a lot of noob questions.
the main one being, i will be running 10.3 on the G3 which has 350MHz proc. Would it be able to handle 10.4? What are the minimum requirements for 10.4.
Thanks for the info guys :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Congratulations on your first Mac! Hopefully you'll learn to love OSX.

As for your question, check this page out, http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html.

I believe RAM is where you may be lacking, according to your profile you have around 256MB of RAM. Tiger should run o.k. on it, but it will run WAY better if you upgrade your RAM. I don't remember what the G3s max out at, but get as much as you can. http://www.ramjet.com <<They have some good, inexpensive RAM.

Good luck!

edit: Fry rules.

OP
F

faboloso112

thx surfwax for the info.
i know the G3 take pc100 ram. but what if i were to install some pc133 ram...in a PC the ram would just be underclocked, is that the case for macs as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Yes, I believe you can put in faster RAM in place of the slower RAM, don't quote me on it though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I have 2700 RAM in my iBook, and it just downclocks it to 2100.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
I have PC 133 ram in my Powermac g3 that takes PC 66. works fine, no probems. good luck!

OP
J

jn4jenny

faboloso112 said:
hey guys
i just bought a old mac g3 for about a hundred bucks. im just trying to expand my understanding of OSX and all that and this seems like a pretty friendly forums so i figured why not join up.
by the way, since i am COMPLETELY new to macs, expect a lot of noob questions.
the main one being, i will be running 10.3 on the G3 which has 350MHz proc. Would it be able to handle 10.4? What are the minimum requirements for 10.4.
Thanks for the info guys :)

Another thing to think about: does your G3 have DVD playing capability? Tiger is sold on DVD, and it's possible to get it on CD through Apple, but I hear that that's an unpleasant process.

Personally, I was on 10.3 for a long time before switching to 10.4, and 10.3 is a perfectly fine OS. As a low-end user (meaning I don't do a lot of really complicated stuff on my Mac), I'm not sure that the upgrades I notice are worth the cash. The battery management seems better, the widgets are cute, and the mail search function is vastly improved. Other than that, the improvements in Tiger are wasted on me.

OP
F

faboloso112

thank you very much for all the information regarding the RAM.
as per your comment jn4jenny, my g3 doesn't have a dvd drive but i'll probably throw one in there when i decide to upgrade to tiger.
i am a pc technician and know the ins and outs of all pc related hardware and software. i want to expand my horizons when it comes to apple so i want to work with OS9, and the variations of OSX. i figured 10.3 would be a good place to start. then get my hands on OS9 from someone. im going to delve into the OS...so im not too worried about the GUI or anything. but who knows...if i get too comfortable with a mac...i just might have to get rid of my pc and get a g4-g5.
thx again guys for being so helpful. im certainly glad i joined this forum. you guys seem like a nice bunch of people. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
I'm pretty sure you can install Tiger from a network drive. Or you can make a disk image of the install DVD copy that to the G3 and your in business.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.