Is my board fried (see images)?

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

After spilling Coke on my keyboard and reading the "The Official 'I spilled liquid in my MacBook, what do I do now?' thread", I need just one more question answered before moving to the next step, lol. I've tried to find pictures of what a fried board looks like, but thought hey let me upload my own! Can anyone tell me if my board needs replacing (pls disregard the cat hair and dust, lol).

Oh on the bottom left I've outlined, in red, the spot that is burned.

Thanks so much in advance,
Y Tim :Cool:

MacBkBoard3_25.png

MacBkBoard3_closeup.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*
I would not show concern to the yellowing until you see the other side of the board. Confirm the whitish substance to the left of the optical drive cable, looks like possible corrosion??
What are the symptoms? I have resolved dead MacBooks with no evident damage with a full board reflow.
Again, symptoms?

OP
Y
Reaction score
Hi Powermac G5,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Basically, I have a working power adapter and battery. However, it still doesn't boot up; has no signs of life or lights whatsoever. I'm more concerned about the black color; as if it was burned or shorted from the Coke being spilled on it. Here's a close up. Oh and yes it did corrode. There's corrosion on both memory modules too. :-/ Hope this helps.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would say your logic board is toast. You didn't tell us the model, year of the machine but it may not be worth repairing taking into account the cost of a new logic board. The sad part is that even if you replace the logic board, there's no guaranty that the machine will work. Might be time to place it on eBay for parts. Apply what you get for it to a new machine.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Hey Chscag,
I figured that was the case, which is why I was vague. I would rather donate the parts and buy a new model... some day.
Thanks for your time!
Y Tim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.