Importing Photos to iPhoto? Can I delete the files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with 12GB RAM and 2TB HDD, 32 GB iPad 2, 32 GB iPhone 4
I'm importing all my pictures to iPhoto. Can I now delete the individual files off my computer? Is that recommended? My understanding is that iPhoto basically makes a copy of each photo to manage within it's own file format and database so I won't need the individuals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
A qualified yes to that. Before deleting, or importing for that matter, just make sure you've verified in iPhoto's Preferences in (I think) the Advanced tab that you've selected to copy photos into iPhoto when importing. It's phrased something like that and has a check box. If you don't then you are just copying links/pointers to the original destination of the photos and creating thumbnails in iPhoto. Were you to do this and then delete the originals, you would see the names of the photos in iPhoto and a thumbnail for each... that is until you clicked on the thumbnail. The thumbnail would then disappear and turn into a question mark "?" and display a message asking you to fix the link using Finder.

So, delete the originals only after you are sure iPhoto is importing them, and not just creating links.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.