What RAM to buy for iMac?

Reaction score
I am upgrading this year's Tier 2 model:
Configure - Apple Store (U.S.)

It currently has the 4gb of RAM. Apple store quoted me $870 to buy 16gb of RAM off them!! Ridiculous. However, I am curious if there is a special mac or imac RAM I do indeed need to purchase for this? And any suggestions where I can find this cheaper online? (I'm sure there are many places) Thanks!

p.s. looking for 4x4gb

edit: to clarify, bought this imac back in June, so I already own it, looking to install the RAM myself

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks so much.

Are you kidding me!? $50 for 2 sticks of 4gb?

How the heck is this possible when Apple wants to charge $200 for the same at their store lol

(edited: price)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks so much.

Are you kidding me!? $50 for 2 sticks of 4gb?

How the heck is this possible when Apple wants to charge $200 for the same at their store lol

Exactly...we tell folks this ALL THE TIME!!!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
The guy at the Apple store when I was shopping around for my new iMac even told me NOT to buy RAM from them! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
^^ Gotta love the Apple sales reps. They tell it like it is lol.

Micro Center is even cheaper. They sell 4 gig sticks for $17.99. I even still have the box to prove it!

8582aa8b.jpg

I asked the guy why it was so cheap (I didn't want to buy something that would break in a week) and he said that it was Micro Center brand and it's cheap because they manufacture and sell it. I've had the sticks for a while now and no issues. Everything runs silky smooth. If you have a local Micro Center store in your area, I recommend driving there and picking them up. It's cheaper than OWC and you get them immediately.

But yeah,

iMacs take (if its a new one) 1333 MHz DDR3 SO-DIMM memory. It's the same memory laptops use. Make sure it says PC3-10600 somewhere on the box just to be sure.

Also, don't fall for the gimmick "Mac certified memory". There is no Mac RAM and there is no PC RAM. There's just RAM. A lot of times brands will throw "Apple/Mac certified" on the box just to be able to charge a few bucks more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.