Blue streaks when screen is dark?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' MacBook Pro, iPod Touch 4th gen, White iPhone 4S 16gb,
I got my Macbook Pro in March 2011, making it an Early 2011 model.

About a month or two ago, I powered on my Mac and began doing normal things, such as watching videos and searching the web when I noticed strange blue lines in my screen. I was looking for a way to see them better, and I noticed that when the color my mac is displaying is lighter (such as an internet website with a white background), the blue lines are very faint. But when the background is dark, it is impossible to not see the blue lines.

When I take a screenshot, the lines do not show up in the picture.

I've been searching other forums and google for any similar problems, but I can't find anything.
Any help or advice would be great!
Thanks in advance
-Rachel :)

P.S. The picture below shows the blue lines i'm talking about!

mms_picture.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's appears to be an LCD defect since it does not show up in a screen shot. Since your machine is still under warranty, make an appointment with your local Apple store genius bar and have it checked out. My guess it that they will replace the LCD if it is a defect.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pressure damage?

There isn't any Apple stores where I live, so I called Apple and they told me to take it to "Connecting Point". I took in there and after about a week they told me that Apple would not cover the repair because the lines are "pressure damage".

To fix the problem, it would cost $500 for a screen replacement.
OR they would give me $400 for my computer to put towards a new one, and they would cover the data transfer that would normally cost $50. (basically I would still have to pay $800 for a new macbook).

This honestly doesn't make any sense considering that I baby my computer and have had a case on it since I got it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you leave anything in the computer and then close the cover? Folks have been known to leave things like a pencil or pen or other object and close the cover forgetting that they left something. Or carrying the machine in a back pack with a load of heavy books?

I'm not saying you did any of that but those are the usual things which cause pressure marks to occur on the LCD. If you're positive that you didn't cause the pressure damage, call Apple again and speak to a supervisor and explain the situation to him/her.

If in the end, Apple still refuses to repair it under warranty, post back here and we can give you some other places to send your MBP to for repair which should be less expensive than what they quoted you.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I keep it in my book bag for school, so that could be where it came from. Even then, I don't keep anything in my bag except for a binder that is like a pound in weight. But my father is going to look into it.
I won't be getting my hopes up for Apple covering the damage, so it would be fantastic if you could give me some other ways to get this fixed.
Thanks for everything!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You didn't say where you live, however, if you live in the US, I recommend the folks at IResQ. Here is the LINK to their website. They also have a toll free 800 number you can call and speak to one of their technicians and get an estimate of cost.

The best situation would be for your father to call and speak to someone at Apple who is higher up in the repair chain. There is always a chance that when speaking to a supervisor and explaining to them that nothing you did caused the pressure marks, that they may relent and do the repair under the warranty. Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.