migration assistant

Reaction score
When installing migration assistant,onto a PC prior to transfer of info :Grimmace:to a new Mac,it installs but then comes up with the following message'An error occurred while preparing your information for transfer' Any ideas?

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for the info which was most helpful,my OS is Lion 10.7.2 which Doesn't seem to be listed?I may have to resort to disc transfer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Snow Leopard is listed so give it a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Lion is listed, just not in number form..

It also depends on when the message comes up. With mine, I found that my disks were dirty. Once cleaned it all seemed to go well. You should also check your settings for both systems to make sure nothing is interrupting the transfer such as screensavers, energy saver programs, firewall, virus scanners or any programs that automatically check for updates and startup at Login (check Login items in System Preferences->Accounts (Growl and Itunes helper don't seem to bother anything) on the mac and Startup items on Win machine)

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for the help. I am able to download & install Migration Assistant onto the laptop from which i want to transfer data to my new iMac,then the message appears saying an error has occurred whilst preparing info to transfer.There are no discs involved.I'll try shutting down all other applications as you suggest
Thxs
Terry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.