• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

RED Digital Cinema

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Server 2.0GHz Intel Core i7 Quad Core, MacBook Pro Retina 2.6 GHz
I need one of these ;-)

Scarlet.png

Anyone got their hands on one yet?

OP
pwfletcher
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, it's the new RED Scarlet ;-)

C

chas_m

Let me just dig around in my couch and see if I can come up with the spare $25K or so one needs to get one ...

OP
pwfletcher
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Epic is $25k. This is the Scarlet ... only $10k ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
OP
pwfletcher
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lol ... or more ;-)

OP
pwfletcher
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow ... RED has the Scarlet-X listed on it's site for only $6k. Apparently, 50 of them were used in a movie and have been refurbished to like new condition at the RED factory. That is one heck of a deal ... and I can buy an adapter to use my Nikon lenses on them ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
we used a couple in a shoot last year, and it was awesome. Are they for everyone? Nope. and the base price is not what you need to look at. Keep in mind the sheer amount of data produced at 4k - if you dont have at least a couple of the smaller 1TB drive packs, you will be shooting, downloading, shooting, downloading and that takes forever.

Loved having access to them without buying them. Personally, at my stage in production, a couple BlackMagic cameras would do just fine at 3k. Blackmagic Design: Blackmagic Cinema Camera

OP
pwfletcher
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are the Blackmagic cameras the ones that do SUPER high frame rate so you get that amazing slo mo?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
All the specs for it is on their website. They are not marketed as super high frame rate. they are standard production frame rates, 23-30 fps. However, at $3k, a most useable and affordable mid to high-end production camera. About the only other one I would look at right now (because i have $30k in Canon EF-S lenses already) is the Canon EOS C cameras, starting with the EOS 1D-C. But then, I am a Canon guy at heart.

OP
pwfletcher
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Canon 5D mkiii take s pretty good video as well ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.